Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 March 2001 18:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Clarke MIOSH, MIIRSM Hi Folks, Can anyone help me, do any of you have a copy of the ISO standard for health and safety. I am trying to ascertain whether I can convince the board its a viable option. Managed to do this with ISO14001, need to look at standard to see whether what we have measures up.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 18 March 2001 00:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi Graham I may have what you looking for, if you would like to e-mail me your details we can discuss further. My e-mail address is: david@safetyfirst.karoo.co.uk Regards David B
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 March 2001 10:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryan Owen I'm also in the middle of sorting my board out to undertake OHSAS 18001 after obtaining 14001. Feel free to e-mail me to discuss how I'm going about implementing this system, using the structure of ISO 14001 system for most of the parts. You'll be surprised how easy it really is, that you can actually get most of the work done before you present it to the board. bryanmusashi@netscapeonline.co.uk
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 March 2001 13:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram There isn't an ISO H&S Management Standard - some of the replies seem to have missed this point. Probably the nearest equivalent is the very recent ILO draft standard, comments on it are due by the end of this week. You can find it on their website (thanks Arran Linton-Smith for alerting us all to this a couple of weeks ago), and there is a linked document which gives some of the ISO/ILO history re such standards. It also comments on the added value or otherwise of Certification to standards - very sensibly too! The ILO draft includes references to all the various 'candidate' national and industry standards, so is valuable in this respect, as well as being a good document on its own.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 20 March 2001 12:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi There is no International Standard for Occupational health and Safety Management Systems at this point in time. Ths BSI proposal last year to initiate the process for one was not carried through within ISO--The International Standards Organisation. Ian is right, the nearest to it are the draft ILO technical guidelines on occupational health and safety management systems--you can download them from the ILO website!!! The current British Standard for it is BS 8800: 1996 Guide to occupational health and safety management systems. This standard DOES NOT provide for CERTIFICATION. This led to a number of Certification bodies, who were already in the business for Quality and Environmental management systems auditing and certification to produce their own "standards/specifications". In order to meet the demand in the market for a certificated OHSMS "standard" and avoid the proliferation of different certification "company standards", the BSI with the support of the other certification bodies published OHSAS 18001 and OHSAS 18002 OHSAS 18001:1999 Occupational health and safety management systems. Specification OHSAS 18002:2000 Occupational health and safety management systems. Guidelines for the implementation of OHSAS 18001