Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 22 March 2001 09:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard I recently read of a compensation case involving tenosynovitis, reulting from keyboard work, and one of the observations made during the case was that the only other known at risk group was nursing mothers. Can any body explain why nursing mothers should be at risk from this condition? This is purely a personal enquiry - I am just absolutely baffled as to what the connection is! Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 22 March 2001 22:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Richard In response to your post, you have a query on very difficult subject and I belive your quickest route to a proper answer should be EMAS at Shefeiled. Employment Medial Advisory Service at Sheffield, a Doctor Frank Gallager is not only most informative but is most helpful as well. He may be away from the office when you call, but if you leave your details he will always return your calls. Good Luck David B PS - out of interest what case are you refering to!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 March 2001 12:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Richard Having recently been a new mum I may have an answer to your query. I would suspect it is something to do with the Relaxin Hormone your body produces which causes all of the ligaments in the body to relax and lengthen to allow for the birth. This obviously increases the susceptability of an individual to this type of injury. For your information this condition will persist for up to six months after the birth as the body returns to normal and the effects wear off. We have recently added a new protocol for risk assessing new & expectant mothers as we have a lot of DSE workers and female staff involved in manual handling activities. If you would like additional information you can contact me at sarahs@fisher.co.uk or phone 01509 555051. Sarah J Shaw EHS Manager
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 March 2001 11:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard David Can't remember case details, and I've destroyed the reference, but it was a fairly recent copy of one of the commercial OSH magazines (not the Practitioner). The case involved one of the big banks, I think Barclay's, apologies if I'm wrong. One of their operatives had been involved in some extra tasks which involved a lot of data input using only one hand, presumably a numeric only keypad. Sorry to be so vague Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 March 2001 13:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John D Crosby The case referred to did involve a bank. The person had been carrying out nothing but keyboard work, processing and closing accounts. This involved use of one hand on the numeric section of the keyboard. The position of the keyboard was such that she had her wrist twisted to the right away from the thumb resulting in a condition known as De Quervain's tenosynvitis. This condition can arise with a nursing mother because of the way she may hold either her breast or the bottle when feeding the baby. The added complication is that the strain is exaggerated because of the hormonal changes that occur in pregnant ladies which will continue for at least six months or until she stops breast feeding. If the bank had carried out a proper assessment of the lady's workstation as she did the job then the lady would not have suffered the injury John C
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2001 20:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Partington test