Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2001 12:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Does anyone know of any guidance on how far (if any) an employee should have to go to get to an eyewash station. We are thinking of changing from bottles to plumbed in eyewash stations. Sarah J Shaw, EHS Manager, Fisher Scientific UK Ltd, Loughborough
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2001 21:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I'm not aware of any recognised maximum travel distance and would be interested to hear of one. The Regulations require first aid provision to be adequate and appropriate in the circumstances. This requires competent judgement for the particular work activites and associated hazards. I have, therefore, translated this practically, for eye-wash stations, as readily available within the room and as close as reasonably practicable to the hazard.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 March 2001 07:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt Dear Sarah I, too am not aware of any guidance. In my previous workplace we had some plumbed in eyewash facilities, but we were advised by the water company not to use them any more, on the grounds that scale (from the hard water) could be floating around in the supply and be discharged into the person's eye. Regards Jane
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2001 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Hi Sarah, How are you going to ensure there is not stagnant water in the dead end of the plumbed system? Interesting things can grow in non moving water even in pipelines. The last thing someone with burns needs is the introduction of a nasty bug into the broken skin.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 03 April 2001 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah J Shaw Jim Thanks for the prompt, but we have a policy of running all eyewash/safety showers for 5 minutes each week as part of the safety inspection. This ensures that there is no build up and removes any possible legionella. Sarah