Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2001 17:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Dunn I am advising staff who have had their offices sprayed with an aqu suspension of fenitrothion (O,O-dimetyl O-4-nitro-m-tolyl phosphorothioate). It is unclear from the data what the limits are for this compound. Staff have been complaining of irritation to eyes, tingling lips / fingers and general feeling of being 'ill'. I have been told that a sample of the carpet (yes I know it is not supposed to be applied to carpets and soft furnishings...) has values of between 19.1 mg/kg and 18.9 mg/kg. Are these values significant? Can anyone advise me about the nature of this sort of insectacide and it's effects on humans (including pregnant women). Thanks, Michael
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 March 2001 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE HI MIKE HOPE THS HELPS FIRE= COMBUSTIBLE,LIQUID FORMULATIONS CONTAINING ORGANIC SOLVENTS MAY BE FLAMMABLE. GIVES OF IRRATATING OR TOXIC FUMES{GASES}IN A FIRE. EXPOSURE= PREVENT GENERATION OF MISTS! AVOID EXPOSURE OF ADOLESCENTS AND CHILDREN.{CONSULT DOCTOR} INHALATION= COUGH,HEADACHE,MUSCLE CRAMP,NAUSEA,DIZZINESS,CONVULSONS SWEATNG, UNCONSCOUSNESS.{PREVENTON= VENTILATION, LOCAL EXHAUST} SKIN= MAY BE ABSORBED! REDNESS ,PAIN{PREVENTON=WASH SKIN WITH SOAPY WATER} EYES=REDNESS,PAIN{PREVENTION=RINSE WITH PLENTY OF WATER, GO TO DOCTOR} INGESTION= STOMACH CRAMPS,CONFUSON,DIARRHOEA,SHORTNESS OF BREATHE,VOMITING{PREVENTION= DO NOT EAT DRNK SMOKE DURING WORK,WASH HANDS BEFORE EATING} YOU SAY THAT CARPET AND FURNITURE HAS THIS CHEMCAL ON ,TO APPLY THIS THE PERSONS SHOULD OF BEEN WEARING CHEMICAL SUITS,S/C BREATHING APP. MAYBE THIS SHOULD OF BEEN A GIVE AWAY? MUST BE USED IN WELL VENTLATED AREAS. CHEMICAL DANGERS= SUBSTANCE DECOMPOSES ON HEATING OR BURNING PRODUCNG TOXIC FUMES. INHALATION RISK= NO INDICATON CAN BE GIVEN ABOUT THE RATE IN WHICH A HARMFUL CONCENTRATION IN THE IR IS REACHED ON EVAPERATION OF THIS SUBSTANCE AT 20DEGREES CENT. SHORT TERM EXPOSURE= IRRATATES THE EYES AND SKIN, CAN CAUSE EFFECTS ON THE NERVOUS SYSTEM, CONVULSONS,RESPIRATORY FALURE{MEDICAL OBSERATON IS INDICATED} SPECIAL TREATMENT IS NECCESSARY IN CASE OF POISIONING WITH THIS SUBSTANCE,INSTUCTIONS MUST BE MADE AVAILABLE,DO NOT TAKE WORK CLOTHES HOME. ACCOTHION,METATHION,NOVATHION, SUMITHION ARE TRADE NAMES HOPE THIS IS OF SOME USE STEVE
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 March 2001 10:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Dunn Thanks for the info I think I may well have some serious issues to raise with the internal contractor regarding the less than strick approach to the use of this compound as from what you are saying the operator was probably placing himself at risk as much (if not more so) than the occupants of the office..... Michael
Admin  
#4 Posted : 26 March 2001 15:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Michael Organo-phosphate chemicals should be viewed with extreme caution. There is a lot of controversy about their long-term effect on humans. Government scientists insist that they are safe "when used in accordance with guidelines". However there is an increasing weight of evidence that they have a permanent and disabling effect on the central nervous system (tingling of the lips is an effect on the local nerves through skin absorbtion in a thin, moist area). Not only are farmers who have used sheep dip been affected, but children who play in fields near where crops are sprayed. If staff are suffering the symptoms you report, the area should be placed off limits until the chemicals have properly cleared. John