Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 March 2001 18:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Dee There is a body that deals specifically with health and safety of retail premises. Does anyone know who may offer that service or know of a generic general assessment for the retail environment? Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 March 2001 20:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ben Hi Robert, The enforcing Authority for Health & Safety is the Local Authority (The Environmental Health Department of your local Council). Inspectors have the same powers as Health & Safety Executive Safety Inspectors. There are many consultancy firms who can offer the service in carrying out a risk assessment of a retail work activity.You would need to ensure that they are "competent".The details of consultancies could be found in yellow pages or the Safey Health Practioner montly mag, etc. The HSE have produced alot of guidance for retail work activites (I think that there is even a case study risk assessment book).The HSE and the Local Authority have a web site. www.hse.gov.uk, which also lists books etc. You could also approach the local enforcing authority for help/infomation, don't worry the inspectors don't bite (I used to be a safety inspector). Hope this info is of help.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 March 2001 10:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Dee Ben - Thanks for help. Case study risk assessement book? Sound promissing. Can you provide any signposts to trace it? One other question. I thought health inspectors were the flavour of the century. Why leave? Thanks again
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 March 2001 18:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Dawson The HSE publication "5 steps to risk assessment - case studies" may be helpful. Case studies include offices, motor vehicle maintenance, and brick working (from memory). They leave because they are paid peanuts and because employers assume ex-enforcement officers must make good advisers. Not always the case.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 26 March 2001 21:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ben I left because I needed to move closer to where my girlfriend was living and I wanted to be apart of a company, actively initiating measures in ensuring a safe place of work. As an enforcement officer you do not always get to be involved with implenting systems etc usually until its too late. Yes I agree with the other thread that not all ex-enforcment people may make good safety advisors, however I have worked my way up from the shop floor of a manufacturing environment and I have seen alot of unsafe acts and I have had plenty of experience of communicating with all levels of management, employees, solicitors and members of the public. Some may also that not all Health & Safety Advisors would make good enforcement inspectors. You have just got to be passionate about looking after peoples well being!