Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 March 2001 17:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster If anyone has any experiences they would like to share regarding this new service I would be mighty obliged. We as a local authority may well have to opt for this instead of the new 'jolly expensive' barbour system.Thank you........
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 March 2001 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Richard, I have recently subscribed to HSE Direct and I must say that I am impressed with the content, for what I regard as an extremely reasonable cost. If you would like some more information I would be glad to discuss it with you or even give you a sneak preview. You can either email me by using the link above or contact me on: 020 8391 9710. Phil
Admin  
#3 Posted : 28 March 2001 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi I have had a look at HSE direct--and whereas it can offer value for money, it has several features that make it difficult to use. I am not referring to content, but the ease of use and the practicality of occasionally printing extracts. I found it very difficult to read longer sections of text-- the layout, in my view is not user friendly at all. You have to scroll up or down several sections. HSE direct apparently does not have the facility to move from one hit of a key word to the next in the same document. I feel that if one has to use it for extended periods, the existing layout is not user friendly. Having said all this, it costs approximately 25% of it rivals for a single user version. With that sort of costing, one may be inclined to sacrifice the lack of it being user-friendly. The most frustrating thing is that there is usually no facility for a free preview- you have to go for the "24 hour-day pass" that costs £ 20 + vat and if you like it, then pay the full £ 199 + vat annual subscription.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 28 March 2001 15:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Richard I am also a recent subscriber and can recommend the service. It is possible to get a preview, but it involves a salesman coming to you and logging in at yout desk. Very limited value, but if you pick your questions, and check out some of the more obscure documents you will get a good idea of whether the system is suitable for you. Since the system is mainly confined to HSE material I would suggest that it may too restrictive for an LA, however, you know your own area best Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 March 2001 21:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear All, Whilst the HSE site is fairly good and is cheap, it does not cover all of HSE's own publications, which is a bit of a problem! Both the barbour and technical indexes sites have the advantage of being comprehensive, but both have the disadvantages of being expensive and being in a graphic format. Whilst this format does not allow manipulation of text it does allow downloads, which have not clearly been manipulated. This is an advantage under certain circumstances. Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#6 Posted : 29 March 2001 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle I personally object to the concept of selling information, particularly as the imposition to comply is provided by the same source that is selling the information !! I believe that where legal requirements impose duties on persons/employers at work, the information needed to ensure compliance and provide a safe and healthy workplace should be provided, in essence, free of charge. The burden on employers budgets is increased year by year, and further demands for compliance increase in line with new and 'improved' demands. If, for example, I was the supplier of goods that were a necessity, and I was the only source of the supply, I would be considered a monopoly, investigated and possibly put out of business. Why then (with devils advocate hat on), should a Government, to who taxes are paid and holds sway over the requirements to comply, and indded force compliance, then be allowed to charge for information and services related to 'enforcing' persons to comply. In other contexts, this situation would be viewed by UK governments, past and present, to be oppresive !! Information should be provided either free or at cost (e.g. Regulations etc), and the service of the government department to provide information 'ad-hoc', free. If revenue is to be earned, why not do this from higher fines for offenders, where serious injury and death result at work, along with prison sentences. The 'Examples' continue to astound where fines and levels of penalties do not sem to match the 'offence' - It seems to be increasingly so that Justice is a sword not often sharpened. Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 April 2001 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster Thanks for the offer Phil- we are definately interested in seeing it in action,possibly end of April ? My latest email address is richard.forster@ce.lbwf.gov.uk and my work phone number is 020 8496 4799.Let me know how you wish to proceed.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 April 2001 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Michael Webb Overall l am fairly impressed, but was disappointed to discover that the "EH" series is not available - seems Butterworths forgot to tell me that !!