Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 March 2001 13:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie We recently had someone injure a hand while building a drystone wall. Investigation revealed that the victim had not been wearing gloves "because in traditional craft areas you cannot get the feel of the material". While I have a certain amount of sympathy with this view, I would be interested in other views. The risk assessment which had been carried out (not by me!) had taken account of this view. Would an inspecting/enforcement officer do the same? One is allowed, of course, to pay due regard to the nature of the task, and to the experience and skill of the operator, but if an incident occurs is it a failure of the assessor or the operator? Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 March 2001 14:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter I must first state that I know nothing about drystone walling! From my position of ignorance, I cannot see why the waller needs to feel the material. I can understand that certain tasks requiring fine motor control (handling small components, etc.)might be more difficult while wearing gloves but picking up and placing comparatively large pieces of stone does not seem to be a delicate operation that would be hampered by gloves. It may be that the waller is not keen to wear gloves and is using tradition as an excuse. While wearing gloves may make the job feel different, it should just be a matter of getting used to them.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 March 2001 19:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Laurie. I tend to agree with Mr Leadbeater in respect of the wearing (or not) of gloves by the artisan. Having undertaken craft work myself, I can state that wearing gloves is better for the hands, and it is simple a matter of getting used to them, as opposed to working without gloves. Obviously this matter was identified as a potential hazard for hand/wrist injuries, however, it seems at the insistance of the artisan, the matter was more or less passed by. In this respect I would assume that both parties are as liable as each other. On the one hand the assessor knew it was a risk to work without gloves, and on the other the artisan knew also, but prefered to ignore the potential for harm and work without gloves. Does he wear eye protection, knee pads for kneeling, an apron? - there are of course these other areas of PPE also to think about. I feel it is merely a matter of education and application. It will be interesting to see if the chap wears gloves from now on, following his injury !! PS: Most dry stone wallers I know do not use chisels a great deal, they tend to use the hammer itself to 'flay' the stone to shape, if required. Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#4 Posted : 02 April 2001 11:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Hi All, I am a H&S advisor of a mutli-national engineering company. I am also a dry stone waller - paying hobby gets me out into fresh air doing manual work. I must admit I'm sitting on the fence (wall) on this one. As a H&S professional I agree with what you say. As A dry stone waller, I personally rarely wear gloves, I always wear safety boots, I always observe good manual handling techniques etc. You do need a feel of the stone when positioning. The use of a hammer for shaping stone is considered the sign of a poor workman. I only use a hammer when I've finished the whole wall for driving in shards of stone into holes. I wear safety glasses to protect my eyes but frequently end up with a cut face. This all depends on the stone you work with of course. In retrospect, I would plead gulity to " do as I say not as I do".