Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 01 April 2001 09:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Wilf Archer I had a real problem with employees taking fire extinguishers off the wall and using them as doorstops. This created a serious problem, as they were always being knocked over and getting damaged. I have now come up with a unique solution. A broad based stand with an extended wedge on one side. The extinguisher sits inside the base and the wedge secures the door in an open position. This idea has saved me a small fortune in replacing damaged fire extinguishers. Anyway forgive this intrusion into your page but I feel that I just had to share this with your profession. Possibly someday all fire extinguishers will be stored this way and all doors will be securely wedged open. If anyone is interested in making this into a marketable product then I am willing to negotiate the transfer of the patent. Many thanks Olli Farop
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 April 2001 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Harvey OK, this might save a fortune, but as a general idea I think it is more of a risk than a benefit. Fire extinguishers should normally be situated on protected fire routes, which in turn have fire doors, which can now be easily wedged open using a fire appliance! Remember that HSE guidance on the positioning of fire extinguishers states, that were ever practical they should be located in a clearly visible location, which is clearly indicated, and were ever possible grouped to form fire points. This can not be achieved if you are allowing employees to move them around all the time, they might not be were they are needed when required. We now use a safety cord system, which attaches the extinguisher to the wall bracket it is mounted on and will easily snap when pulled, if the extinguisher was required for use. A deterrent, which has had almost a 100% success.