Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 05 April 2001 17:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Brian Houghton I am involved with a project where a corrosive solid material is being imported from the US to UK. It is supplied in 25kg bags. The bags are labelled with the diamond black and white corrosive symbol showing it as hazard class 8. The label also shows the shipping name, UN number and packing group. I have the following questions: (i) Is this labelling adequate for UK road transport? (ii) There is no orange hazard symbol that I would expect to see under CHIP, nor are the risk phrases marked on the pack. Is the CHIP marking always required or might the transport information suffice? The product is for agricultural use - users would be classed as professional rather than members of the public. (iii) If distribution of this product were to extend to other European countries, would additional languages be required? (iv) Is there a minimum quantity below which we would not need a Dangerous Goods Safety Advisor? If we do need a DGSA, what is our easiest route to achieve this. Apologies for such a long-winded question. If anyone can assist, or point me in the right direction, then I would be glad to hear from you. Many thanks, Brian.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2001 20:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Colin Reed Brian, I am aware of the project you are involved in, and should be able to help you out. If you call Jo at our office, she will give you details of an independent DGSA we use who should be able to point you in the right direction. Regards Colin Reed