Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 April 2001 07:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bob Matthews Dear All, Can anyone answer the following? We have pedestal drills with no guards on them. According to the PUWER regs they should have but I am told that as they are very old machines (1950s) they don't need any. I have carried out a risk assessment and in my oppinion they do. What are your thoughts on this? Also I have the same problem with old sheet metal bending machines, do they require emergency stops? they do have a failsafe ( electronic beams) fitted. many thanks Bob
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 April 2001 08:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I would be very surprised if the constreuction of your drills and the nature of work undertaken meant that guards were unnecessary!. A number of companies will manufacture guards for old machines and some advertise from time to time in the safety journals. You could try contacting the Machine Safety Equipment Manufacturers Association (They were c/o Herga Electric in Bury St Edmunds on 01283 701422) or Nelson Ltd in Wigan on 01942 57111 or RDM Ltd in Middleton on 0161 643 9333.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 April 2001 16:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker The age of the work equipment makes no difference under PUWER. The required level of safety must always be maintained. I recommend you consult HSG 129 (£9.50) for general engineering advice and PM83 ( FOC , I think) for specific advice for Drilling machines. My understanding is that any equipment of this nature requires E-stops regardless of guarding level. Other info : BS5304 and BS EN 1050 discuss the required safety measures for machinery. Feel free to e-mail me for further help.