Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2001 14:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment I heard recently on the radio that there is a new report from Scandinavia stating that photocopiers emit harmful deposits which affect the respiratory system . Did anyone else hear of this report or know where I could get some more details? I've tried a web search to no avail. Thanks Bryn
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 April 2001 16:07:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd Bryan, That old chestnut huh! A load of old tosh. If you look hard enough you'll find that water can kill you (and I'm not talking about drowning)! Anyway, for someone who spews horrendous amounts of benzene out of his FS1E, I'm quite amazed that you're worrying.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 April 2001 16:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi I am not aware of this particular one, but the media, including the BBC "picks" up any attention grabbing item and may present it without emphasising the context. Recently, there was coverage on "harmful chemicals" being given off any new plastic products that "heat up"--such as computers etc--the chemicals were reported to be from the additives for plastic processing of the components--phthalates-- perhaps this has the same angle. The other, but not so recent is ozone generated, but that is not "news" As safety professionals, we need to know about the hazards and assess the risks etc, but it appears that due to advances in detection technology, it is now possible to monitor and detect very minute concentrations--in the order of ppb or less. Very few, if any of these reports co-relate their findings to occupational exposure limits!!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 April 2001 10:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Thanks Jay! I'm not worried about photocopiers but a member of staff is stressed out about this 'new' report and I wanted to get a copy to hopefully pull it apart and put her mind at rest. Roberta - thats rich coming from one who inhales benzene. How many times have I got to tell you that I ride at the most environmentally friendly, fuel optimised speed for my motorcycle - just happens to be approx 120mph!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 April 2001 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Carbon black from the toner can accumulate in the lungs. there has also been a case of a woman in a copy shop contracting siderosillicosis a disease normaly seen in miners. The silicon which caused the disease came from the toners in the copier. Bob Woods Keighley Worksafe