Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 April 2001 18:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Waterton We have recently introduced ID badges for office staff. These are located on shirts, blouses, etc. using a small magnetic strip. Some female staff have indicated a concern over the possible increase in the chance of getting breast cancer as a result of using these badges with some refusing to wear them. Can anyone point me in the direction of any evidence for or against this view..or comment from a point of experience.. Thanks!!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 April 2001 08:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft I've never heard of this David. But it occurs to me that the Employment Medical Advisory Service may be the people to give advice on this. I've always found there doctors very helpful.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 11 April 2001 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster David Experience, No. But then in this situation an assurance that "there is no evidence for any causative link" will still be greeted with suspicion. However, if you can demonstrate the true nature of the badges you are more likely to succeed. I presume you are referring to magnetic strips as used on swipe cards, credit cards etc. These are the just the same as the tape in a music casette. The tape is NOT in itself significantly magnetic. It carries information put onto it by a magnet which can then be read. Consider that the magnetic field is so weak that the tape can be corrupted by the stronger magnetic fields around computers, loudspeakers (including telephone handsets) etc. Hope this helps put it into perspective. John
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 April 2001 21:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David J Bristow Hi David We introduced magnetic badges at our place of work last year. I asked the suppliers of the badges to supply technical/health information. The information they supplied included some do's and dont's, but the only health information was regards the magnetic strips affecting pacemeakers. I contacted a manufacturer of pacemakers who said the proximimity of the magnetic strips to pacemakers should be at least 6". Your first respondent mentioned contacting EMAS, I did this and was informed that the strength of the magnets (we had purchased) would not have any ill health effects. You may wish to consider Floppy 3.5" computer discs and credit cards that we carry about in our breast pockets, the magnets can have an effect on both. Lastly, why just the women showing concerns about breast cancer, it can affect men to! Hope this helps. Kind Regrds David B