Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 April 2001 23:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By stewart lawrence Please advise on the use of Contractors Monitoring Sheets, so that checks can be made on a contractor working alone in an isolated area, to see that they are ok. This has been highlighted by an H&S visit by local authority. Is there any length of time that you should check to see that your contractor is okay? Permit to work / safe system of work!?! If this is the case, what about a cleaner who cleans through the night, alone, and is locked in the building from 10:00pm to 06:00am? Should there be a safe system of work to ensure the cleaner is safe and has not been electrocuted by the hoover, for example? (To prevent cleaner being found at 06:00am in the morning lying dead!). Extreme example, but all the same a valid point I believe! Can anyone point me in the right direction for information regarding the above? Much appreciated, Stew.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 May 2001 21:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MICHAEL LACY With regards to your point abut cleaners, consider school aretakers who not only have to work inside a bilding alone but must also tour the ouside of the buildings, someetimes late at night alone. While all headteachers will ensure teachers are fully protected with mobile phones and the like, they do not, in my 18 years exprience ase a caretaker and 10+ years as a board of governor, give a flying fig for the safety of the caretaking staff. They seem to have this idea that only the so called professionals will be in danger and the others are to common to be bothered with.