Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 April 2001 10:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie We are an FE college and later this year are opening a dance facility with a 150 seat auditorium. There will be public performances arranged and controlled entirely by students. My planned fire strategy is for auditorium sounders to be silenced during public performances, and for trained staff, alerted by audio and visual signals, to carry out a planned and controlled evacuation. (This is a fairly standard scenario for theatres/cinemas) My question - Can I regard the front of house students, suitably trained, as "trained staff" for the purpose of the Fire Regs, or do I have to insist on full time College staff being present, which will obviously carry a grave financial penalty? My own risk assessment tells me I can, but I may have got it wrong - it has been known! Any opinions? Laurie Richards
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 April 2001 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson We operate a similar system here and students are trained by the Theatre Technical Manager on the procedures to be followed. For Pubic performances one of the Theatre Technicians is always present to oversee the performance. You dont say if you have a Public Entrainment Licence. Unless the law is different in Scotland any performance the which the Public are invited must be licensed. If this is the case whoever issues the PE Licence will have a view on the training of any persons who are responsible for evacuating the Public
Admin  
#3 Posted : 26 April 2001 22:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor I would expect the licensing authority to require them to be trained, competent and adult - but not necessarily staff members.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 April 2001 15:03:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Thanks for the responses. John, we run a respectable house here, and there will be no question of "Pubic Performances"!! Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 April 2001 19:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson I must stop placing to much reliance on my spell checker. Just hope it does not incur the wrath of the Moderators :-)