Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 April 2001 16:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Forster Under the 'new' Management Regs, what 'role' is played by Union Safety Reps ? What governs where they get involved and to what dergree ? Do any organisations actually offer some training in the risk assessment process to Safety Reps or do you leave that to the Unions ? Answers on a postcard.......!
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 May 2001 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Malcolm Speaking as someone who is a poacher turned game keeper, I would reply to your question as follows. I would advise you to try to include safety reps in the risk assessment process as much as possible. They will bring with them a shop floor knowledge that could prove invaluable in conducting an effective risk assessment.(what happens on the floor rather that what is supposed to happen) The question regarding training is one for personnel opinion, the TUC safety rep stage 1 and 2 courses are excellent in providing reps with a suitable general knowledge in relation to H&S, they are 20 days training over about 12months, and are free to all reps that have a union afiliated to the TUC. Attendence on this style of course from a private provider would be very expensive. There was also some talk in the past, that they may be IOSH accredited.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 May 2001 16:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Mycroft I am also a poacher turned gamekeeper the TUC stage 1 and 2 safety reps courses are excellent and equip the safety reps with a greater knowledge of health and safety than some managers, these are not IOSH recognised but are accredited through the Open College. The TUC Certificate in Occupational Health and Safety is recognised by IOSH for membership at TechSP grade, with 2 years pro-rata experience, this is also an excellent course, it runs for a full year 1 day per week and covers all aspects of health and safety. I would recommend it to anyone.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2001 07:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie It should also be borne in mind that Safety Reps are often the only ones in the company, apart from the safety officer, to have received any formal H & S training. As far as I am concerned, this makes them valued allies, Laurie