Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 May 2001 07:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin How do Employee HS and Occupational HS members react when an employee contacts them and tells them that a manager is bullying them?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 May 2001 07:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Trevor Webster Tony, I work for a Local Authority in London, I would approach this in 2 ways. Firstly I would alert our Employee Relations Officer, secondly I would ask a senior manager to conduct a stress risk assessement for the team. An element of the assessment would be "is there evidence of bullying" this would tease out the issue. Stress risk assessments are not unusual and therfore this would protect the identity of the victim Trevor
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 May 2001 09:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Tony It would be prudent to have a bullying/harassment policy that details the action to be taken and by whom. I would urge the harassed staff to contact the Trusts nominated Personnel advisor who will investigate either covertly or overtly with the assistance of another senior manager. If it's open verbal abuse or harassment I would also ask them to complete the incident form in the same way as if a patient / visitor had abused them. Particularly useful for 'slapping' Consultants back into place!!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 May 2001 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin Thanks Trevor, I found your response very interesting and encouraging. I have experienced rather "different" responses in the past and it's good to see such a degree of professionalism. Regards, Tony
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 May 2001 11:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin Workplace Bullying | Bryn Maidment | 09.05.01 09:58 GMT Well Bryn, Your response raises many questions. What if the Personnel advisor and senior manager cover up the abuse and begin to abuse the employee themselves for complaining against one of their own? Where does the employee go then? I'm very pleased to see that you would treat harassment in the same way as physical abuse, because both forms can cause major trauma. Regards, Tony
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 May 2001 13:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Tony No doubt there is a danger of the helpers turning abusers in the same way as some safety professionals will be sustaining unsafe or unhealthy workplaces for whatever reason. It really is a culture thing. Hopefully the personnel people are professionals and the other checks involved will avoid such a situation arising. My organisation will not tolerate abuse from outsiders but takes an even dimmer view of management harassment and bullying...and quite right too!
Admin  
#7 Posted : 09 May 2001 15:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin It sounds as though your organisation has a lot it could teach other businesses Bryn. Has this always been the case or was there a time when the bullying/harassment response was "less than helpful"? The reason I'm asking Bryn is because I work in a sector that has been officially recognised as one of the worst for bullying its employees. I want to find a way to help improve the working environment and the behaviour of the support personnel within it. This will not be easy because I am a low grade worker and also a victim of workplace bullying, but I am determined to achieve a change in the mindset of the top management, and by doing that, help create an environment where people are valued and treated with respect. Regards, Tony
Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 May 2001 01:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simone plaut dear colleagues i had personal experience of workplace bullying earlier in my career and it was thoroughly unpleasant. it was in the nhs and the human resources department were hopeless. bullying and harrassment policies (better called respect and dignity policies as it sounds more positive) have a role to play, but if the person doing the bullying is the manager (this was the cause of the cervical smear crisis in kent and canterbury nhs trust some years back for eg) then staff are too frightened to come forward and report for fear of reprisals. in my case, i reported him only after i had found another job and knew he could no longer cause me damage. staff need an impartial person to go to and a manager from another department who may be friendly with the perpetrator is not the answer. a member of the trust board who has authority and can be considered impartial is the best type of person. another option is a member of the clergy.(nhs trusts have ministers attached to them) hope this is helpful. simone plaut.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 10 May 2001 08:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Tony As with most safety issues you will find it a big struggle at times trying to change things but you should persevere because this behaviour is one of the worst kind. In the same way as LEAs are tacklnig bullying so should any organisation. It does take some enlightenment at the top and a lot of work from dedicated people but you can change for the better. The two keys are having a system in place (policy/guidance - call it what you want!)and ensuring all staff accept that bullying is not normal and should not be tolerated. I must admit to a little skullduggery when our first senior manager was hauled up for verbal bullying. There is clearly a need for confidentiality in such cases but I wanted staff to know of it so they could see the policy was working - so I deliberately gave info to the bush telegraph. I'm not naive enough to believe that my NHS Trust is now all huggy feely and everyone gets on in harmony. Some bullying is very underhand, undermining and insidious and yes there may be cases where victims will not want to come forward or will be bullied again if they make complaints. However, staff now know that we have a satisfactory procedure in place which protects them and is fair and subject to scrutiny. Hope this helps - if you'd like any further help drop an e.mail
Admin  
#10 Posted : 10 May 2001 10:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Martin I feel I should inform the other contributors that as well as being a member of this forum I also run a few web sites. They are; www.workplacebullying.com www.unionreport.co.uk www.consignia-group.co.uk Also I moderate the Yahoo group "BULLIED" at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BULLIED. The feedback from you all has been extremely encouraging and I thank you for it. Regards, Tony Martin