Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 May 2001 17:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By M Wilson I have been asked to review our schools' health and safety policy and make general risk assessments. The school has "live in" pupils, performs numerous public shows involving stage lighting and pyrotechnics, swimming pool, workshops and a pottery department. Can anyone please advise where I can get information specific to the hazards associated with school buildings and activities? Many thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 May 2001 21:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alex Watts HSE have loads of booklets specifically for schools
Admin  
#3 Posted : 13 May 2001 20:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The publications from the HSE's Education Service Advisory Committee (eg 'Managing Health and Safety in Schools' and 'Safety Policies in the Education Sector') should be of help. You could also subscribe to Croner's School Health and Safety Management'. There are a number of guidance publications from the DfEE and former DES. With regard to swimming pools and public events you need the specific guidance publications from the HSE, etc, etc. A first step could be to obtain the catalogue from HSE Books (01787 881165) and start ordering! I tend to find that many of the work activities upon which the HSE produce guidance are carried on or taught in our schools and that I need to obtain these as they are published or revised in order to keep the schools up to date.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 13 May 2001 20:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor PS. For school buildings information, in addition to your copy of the Education (School Premises) Regulations and associated guidance from the DfEE, you should obtain the various publications from the DFEE Architects Department - who have a separate catalogue.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 14 May 2001 07:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jack What type of school. Community, Foundation, Voluntary Aided, Public etc? ie who is the employer? Jack
Admin  
#6 Posted : 14 May 2001 12:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett You may also find it helpful to look at the DfEE "Guide to the Law for School Governors" - this will give you some indication of their H&S role, according to what type of school you're working with.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 May 2001 08:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barry Wilkes There was a nice very general guide produced a couple of years ago by Questions Publishing Company in Birmingham 0121 212 0919 called "A clear Guide to Health, Safety and security in Schools" by Chris Lowe for about a tenner. It is good to give to head teachers. If your interested in Physical education try BAALPE - British Association of Advisers and Lecturers in Physical Education. Don't know their number but their address was Nelson House, 6 the Beacon, Exmouth Devon, EX8 2AG. . The DFEE produced a guide in 1998 "Health and Safety of Pupils on Educational Visits" 0845 6022260 Hope this helps Barry
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 May 2001 09:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky Here are the website addresses, while you wait for the catalogues, though I think you can download the HSE's catalogue from their HSE books site. HSE's education leaflets http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/edindex.htm The DFEE search site (just type in safety)and lots of safety in education leaflets are available. http://www.dfee.gov.uk/cgi-bin/htsearch I hope this helps, Nicky
Admin  
#9 Posted : 17 May 2001 09:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Newall There is some useful school-related health and safety information at: http://www.justforteachers.co.uk/ You need to register for a username and password but it's free.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 17 May 2001 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Barrie Price-Davies M???? I have recently produced a draft Health and Safety Policy for a local school, I will be more than happy to send copy if you supply your details. Barrie Price-Davies