Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 May 2001 11:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie A colleague helps run a local youth club, and wishes to allow members to work in the kitchen - tea, coffee sticky buns etc., nothing exotic. She has been told that there is specific Health & Safety legislation which requires a permit to be issued. We have discounted Dangerous Machines, Employment of Schoolchildren, Environmental Health (they all have REHIS anyway) and any local ordinance and she is aware of risk assessment and informing the parents, but she is adamant that it is specific Health & Safety legislation she has been warned about, and that it only applies to catering. I have spoken to very experienced managers in the Leisure & Hospitality sector, and they are as mystified as I am. Does anyone know of any such obscure requirement, and where it may be found? Remember, we are talking national (UK) and not LA Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 May 2001 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn Is it the responsibility to comply with the Food Hygiene Regulations- we were told we had to in a similar situation? There is also the requirement to take into account the age of the people- there reduced ability to identify hazardous operations. How about Manual Handling, slips etc?
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 May 2001 21:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Francis Thanks for the response. All of the points you suggest have been discounted. This is not EH and all those concerned have REHIS anyway. Manual handling etc apply to everybody and every task, not just under 16s in catering. These would be the subject of risk assessment in the normal way - my colleague has specifically been referred to a permit issued under Health & Safety (not food hygiene) Regulations Laurie
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 May 2001 23:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lucas Laurie, There is no such thing in H&S. I am sure you are being misled somewhat. It sounds to me like a bylaw concerning school kids probably being locally enforced under the Local Gov Miscellaneous Provisions Act. Andy
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 May 2001 10:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor The latest HSE publication on young people at work is HSG165. If your situation isn't in there, I doubt if the alleged prohibition exists in H&S law.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 May 2001 12:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis Quinn Have you: a) Had it confirmed in writing. b)Talked to your local Environmental Health Department at the Council?
Admin  
#7 Posted : 18 May 2001 11:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Thanks everybody. I think we can now put this one to bed! A classic case of those people who think they know something about health and safety confusing those of us who actually do know soemthing about health and safety! Laurie