Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2001 13:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts
Has anybody any information on changes to Manual Handling Regs that will require pallet trucks to be motorised. One of my warehouse overseers has been told by a "Sales Rep" that this will be a new requirement under forthcoming legislation.??
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2001 21:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rachelle Smith
I have not heard of any such requirements or in fact that the manual handling regs are even to be updated. Essentially I would not be particularly concerned about some eager sales rep who is prob most motivated by getting you to buy more of his products. Unless this contact can substantiate his claims then ignore him. Rather we look to what the legislation requires of us, clearly if we cannot eliminate the requirement to move then we should mechanise the process. Having seen pallet trucks used there appears to be little effort in their use. Secondly how could these be powered? You may then find yourself either with carbon monoxide inhallation or problems with charging batteries. If you ask me his information is unfounded.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 May 2001 08:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ron Young
I've not heard of these changes either. However, contrary to the previous posting, I have seen extreme efforts being exerted to move heavily laden pallet trucks, which can & does lead to MH type injuries. After a risk assessment, which should include input from operators, is carried out, it should be easy to identify whether motorised pallet trucks or FLT's, or other forms of mechanised transport are required. Don't go on what weight pallet trucks can carry, rather it is what the operator can safely move without risk of injury.