Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 May 2001 15:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie
We've got honeysuckle growing in our nursery play area. Doesn't this have poisonous berries?

Laurie
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 May 2001 15:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Diane Warne
Laurie,
I don't know the answer to this but in the past I have used a very good MAFF book on the subject. Look under "poisonous plants" at
http://www.maff.gov.uk/i...ns/pubcat/alphidx2.htm#P

Regards

Diane
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 May 2001 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston
I think you'd need to be a little more specific about the species - some honeysuckles have edible berries but others eg Tartarian Honeysuckle and Fly Honeysuckle (Lonicera tatarica and xylosteum) have mildly toxic berries that have been implicated in child poisoning

I've not found a UK resource on the net about plants poisonous to humans in the UK (though there's lots of stuff about plants poisonous to horses, dogs, parrots, sheep and cats) Here's a Canadian site where I got this information and where there's pointers to other sites that may help

http://sis.agr.gc.ca/pls/pp/poisworld?p_x=px

If in doubt I'd err on the side of caution
Admin  
#4 Posted : 23 May 2001 16:30:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett
Hi Laurie,

I asked a colleague in our Parks department to look up honeysuckle in the MAFF book, which says that although honeysuckle is popularly believed to be poisonous, it should in fact be considered to be either harmless or of very low toxicity, as there is no evidence to suggest that it causes poisoning. It has however been known to cause dermatitis.

Hope this helps, regards, Zoe

Admin  
#5 Posted : 01 June 2001 10:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Rob Todd
Laurie,

I have been told that Kew Gardens have been helpful with this type of querie in the past. Sometimes with just one phone call. If you're still not happy give them a try.

Cheers

Rob