Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 May 2001 00:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stephen Bridgehouse I have recently measured the volume of an office and the associated furniture within it. The result was then divided by 11 to give the number of personnel which could be legally / safely allowed in the office. If for example six people worked in the office and the calculation revealed that the office could accommodate nine people would this include space for work furniture for them to use, plus, the legal dimensions of walkways, escape routes etc?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 28 May 2001 20:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Stephen Have you read the guidance in the ACoP to the Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regs? This states that a volume of 11 cu m per person (only including the height up to a maximum of 3m) will not always give sufficient unoccupied space depending on the contents and layout of the room. If the room in question is unusually full of furniture then the number of employees should be reduced accordingly. REGARDS Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 May 2001 08:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor This question has exercised the minds of safety officers, environmental health officers, and others for years. This section of the Regs (and previously OSRPA 63) deal with space needs and not escape routes and the like. I take the view that you include available space in your calculations but subtract that occupied by bulk furniture items that prevent normal access to the space they occupy and that, after working out the numbers of persons that could work in the room by this formula, you go on to see how many can really work there safely given the configuration of the room, positions of doors, escape routes, etc, etc.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 May 2001 12:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Further to the previous responses, I & my previous colleagues including TU Safety Reps, attempted to come up with a simple calculation that would take into account furniture, walkways, etc. Together we physically measured a number of offices & calculated the "used" space with the results being suprisingly consistent. Accordingly, our formula was: calculate the total room volume (l x b x height- max. 3m),subtract 40% of this figure to allow for furniture & fittings & divide the remainder by 11 to give you the maximum no. of persons allowed. We used this formula on many occasions (& I still do) & the results are quite accurate. Obviously, if the office is particularly full of equipment, etc. then you may have to deduct slightly more, but on the whole it does seem to work....try it & see. However, it doesn't end there as you have to take into account aisle widths & exit routes to comply with the Fire Precautions Act 1971 and guidance on occupational space requirements which can be found in the "Journal Metric Handbook" produced by the Royal Institute of British Architects. Other relevent legislation includes the DSE Regs. 1992. If you do end up trying the "40% rule" & it seems to work (or not!), then I would be very interested in the results. Zyggy.