Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 29 May 2001 16:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Juliet Fennell Please help, our employees work in and along water courses eg Canals, and may come across needles during their work. I want to put this in to the Safety Statement, and can identify hazards such as Hep B,C HIV & Tetanus - are there many more? In terms of arrangements, are there suitable gloves they could wear and handle fish at the same time? However more to the point what information should be given if someone does receive a needle stick injury, should they try to bring it to a hospital for tests, should they remove it from the skin or leave it sticking out? Any help on this is appreciated. Juliet
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 June 2001 10:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Joe McNicholas Juliet, I came across this when working within drainage. First of all I am not aware of any gloves that would be suitable to handle fish and prevent needle sticks however, there are gloves on the market that reduce the risk of a needle stick - they cost about £ 150.00 a pair and have a reduction of appx 60% (from memory) I personally decided against buying them as staff may have had a false sense of security. Let me have your e-mail address and I will send some information on what to do when a needle stick is received. Best Regards Joe McNicholas