Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 June 2001 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett I'm making a bid for corporate funding towards training for education staff whose work involves moving and supporting physically disabled children. Can anyone tell me where I can get some stats on the numbers of people suffering manual handling injuries in this work, and the estimated costs to industry? I want to use them to back up (no pun intended) my bid. Many thanks.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 June 2001 09:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andy Lucas I prosecuted a high street company following a manual handling accident. It cost them about £3000 altogether. Try the HSE prosecutions website. You can search under legislation contravened. Put in Manual Handling Operations Regs etc and see what comes up. Hope this helps Andy
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 June 2001 13:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eddie Newall Try the following URL for a court case in which a nurse was awarded £345,000 for a manual handling back injury. http://www.netdoctor.co....p?y=2001&m=6&d=7#id52992
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 June 2001 08:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Minty The latest details I have on a manual handling court case, is a nurse who was awarded £800,000 last year due to an injury at work. Basically the injury arose because a hoist which only cost £3,500 was not available on the ward. If you want a copy of this drop me an e-mail. Further information can be sought from either of the following publications - The Guide to the Handling of Patients revised 4th edition, or Safer handling of people in the Community,both available From BackCare. Also I would play on the information that care staff (which your special needs staff often are) are one of the most at risk professions from moving and handling, with an injury rate of around 60% due to poor handling.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 11 June 2001 08:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor There is some information in the 1999-2000 HSE statistics particularly the section on musculo-skeletal disorders- see http://www.hse.gov.uk/hsestats/hss9900.pdf
Admin  
#6 Posted : 11 June 2001 13:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Thanks everyone, that's really helpful. Hopefully the figures will make people sit up and take notice! Regards, Zoe