Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 June 2001 15:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MICHELLE BROWN A member of the office staff is going to be working on a Saturday to do some painting in the office. How will I know if we are covered if she has an accident?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 June 2001 17:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey This should just be a case of checking your employees liability insurance cover. Remember that although they are insured, you will still need to consider Risk Assessment and the fact that you may have a member of staff working alone. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2001 13:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Karl Curtis Employers Liability Insurance is compulsory in the UK and it should be remembered that whilst the company is insured for legal liability, i.e payment of damages to employee as a result of companies negligence we do not operate a " no fault" workers compensation scheme unlike some of our European neighbours. Rest assured that as long as the person doing the work is at the premises undertaking "work " for the company they are covered under an EL policy, but subject to the points I raised earlier. If I can be of any further assistance please feel free to email me at karlcurtis@btinternet.com
Admin  
#4 Posted : 19 June 2001 15:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi You have stated that a member of the office staff is going to paint the office on a weekend.Is that individual "competent" as a painter-decorater and trained/competent to undertake the work???? Whereas your Employers Liability Insurance may cover it, you as an employer also have to comply with the terms and conditions of the cover. You also have to meet your legal responsibilities to protect the health and safety of your employees. For example, you must carry out a risk assessment, take practical measures to protect your employees. If your insurer believes that you have failed to meet your legal responsibilities for the health and safety of your employees and that this has led to the claim, the policy may enable the insurer to sue you to reclaim the cost of the compensation.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 June 2001 15:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods A lone worker risk assessment should be carried out. If this person is working at height then your company is on very dodgy ground if there is an accident. Some of the measures that could be taken are things like regular telephone calls to another worker or security officer, or alarms that send a signal to a centre if the worker falls. From my experiance in industry lone working especialy at heights is best avoided. Don't forget two people will get the work done in half the time.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2001 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bernie Rogers Please,along with risk and coshh assessment, also remember your assessment must include the employers duty to provide adequate first aid cover.