Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 19 June 2001 11:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard A recent examination question asked candidates to identify the organisation responsible for advising on electrical installation in motor vehicle workshops. This was in the Health & Safety module of a more general examination. Other than the normal electricity industry advisory body, I know of nothing this specific in the H&S field. Can anyone help? Candidates and tutors are a bit nonplussed to say the least! Richard
Admin  
#2 Posted : 19 June 2001 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Richard, I can only think of the Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE). To the best of my knowledge all wiring has to comply with their "16th edition" of the IEE Wiring Regs. which is a BSI standard, (BS 7671 I think) I hope this helps. Ed
Admin  
#3 Posted : 19 June 2001 13:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Thanks Ed That's the only thing we came up with too. Stretching things a bit to make it an H&S specific item - I would have thought this would have been general trade background Richard
Admin  
#4 Posted : 21 June 2001 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Richard, You may also find that the HSE would also give advice as they would be the people who would "police" it as it will be considered to be a factory. Other than that, there is loads of info contained with British Standards. Hope this helps, Frank Cooper
Admin  
#5 Posted : 23 June 2001 14:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Richard, You may like to look at HS (G) 67 Health and Safety in Motor Vehicle Repair. This gives lots of basic guidance on electrical standards in motor vehicle workshops and also covers batteries and electrical equipment used in spraying. Peter Harvey
Admin  
#6 Posted : 23 June 2001 21:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Harmsworth A long shot, but I seem to remember that some parts of motor repair workshops are classed as having flammble vapour zones. If so there is a seperate body who's name escapes me responsable for setting such standards. It could be Cenelec.