Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 20 June 2001 16:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Armstrong
Does anyone know of a reliable/accepted method for obtaining a measurement (or not as the case may be) for possible atmoshperic Benzene in a potentially gas (CH4) contaminated environment, that does not involve either Draeger Tubes or portable gas chromatograph. Failing that, does anyone know if the aforementioned methods are acceptable despite the manufacturers recommendations to the contrary.
Incidentally, I should point out this is not for the purposes of personal exposure monitoring.

I would appreciate any advice.

Regards

Steve Armstrong MIOSH

Admin  
#2 Posted : 21 June 2001 09:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston
Try searching on Google with

Fourier transform infrared spectroscopy

as your search term
Admin  
#3 Posted : 21 June 2001 19:35:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter
Steve
According to an application guide which I recently received, photoionisation detectors (such as those sold and hired out by Shawcity 01367 241675) do not detect methane but are very good at detecting benzene. I am sure that they would be only too pleased to discuss your application.

Regards

Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 22 June 2001 08:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Armstrong
Paul,
This sounds like just the type of equipment I may be looking for.

I'll contact Shawcity for advice.

Thanks very much.

Steve Armstrong MIOSH