Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 23 June 2001 17:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Graham Carson Hi all Is water pumped into a pressure vessel held at 4 bar to feed an irrigation system classed as a relevant fluid as defined by these regs? I'm trying to work out if there shoud by a WSE in place for this pressure system. As always thanks in anticipation. Graham M Carson
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 June 2001 19:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey Graham, why this might help these Regs are new to me: As I understand this the UK - Pressure Equipment Regulations apply to the design, manufacture and conformity assessment of pressure equipment and assemblies of pressure equipment with a maximum allowable pressure greater than 0.5 bar. The Pressure Systems Safety Regulations cover in-use requirements and other aspects not covered by the PER. Check out the following web site for further information http://www.dti.gov.uk/strd/strdpubs.htm Peter Harvey
Admin  
#3 Posted : 23 June 2001 20:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Graham According to the Regulations, a relevant fluid is: (a) steam; (b) any fluid or mixture of fluids which is at a pressure greater than 0.5 bar above atmospheric pressure, and which fluid or mixture of fluids is- (i) a gas, or (ii) a liquid which would have a vapour pressure greater than 0.5 bar above atmospheric pressure when in equilibrium with its vapour at either the actual temperature of the liquid or 17.5 degrees Celsius; or (c) a gas dissolved under pressure in a solvent contained in a porous substance at ambient temperature and which could be released from the solvent without the application of heat. Although the water in your application is at 4 bar, the applicability of the Regulations depends on whether the vapour pressure of water is greater that 0.5 bar above atmospheric at the temperature in question. I think this is unlikely (assuming the water to be at ambient temperature) although it is a long time since I was familiar with the vapour pressure vs temperature curve for water! Perhaps a physicist (or someone with a copy of the 'Rubber Handbook') can help you out on that point. REGARDS Paul Leadbetter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 25 June 2001 07:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jane Blunt At atmospheric pressures, below the boiling point, the vapour pressure of water is less than atmospheric pressure. (The vapour pressure becomes equal to atmospheric pressure at 100 degrees C). The tables suggest that at around 111 degrees C the vapour pressure is around 1.5 bar (i.e. about 0.5 bar above atmospheric pressure). Jane