Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 28 June 2001 21:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Dee A Health and Safety manager expects us to provide details of the construction of walls, floors and ceilings in shops to be checked in a fire risk assessment " cause they may pose a fire risk". Is this what the HSE would expect for such an assessment under the Fire Precautions Regulations 1997/9?
Admin  
#2 Posted : 29 June 2001 08:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Robert, the legislation I think that you are refering to is the Fire Precautions (Workplace)Regulations 1997, as ammended 1999,where the enforcing authority is the Fire Brigade,not the HSE. Under these Regs. there is a duty to carry out a fire risk assessment which should include structural features that could promote the rapid spread of fire, heat or smoke and affect escape routes. These may include ducts or flues, openings in floors or walls, or combustible wall or ceiling linings. If the building has been built & maintained in accordance with Building Regs.and being put to its designed use, it is likely that the means of escape will be adequate. I hope this helps.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 29 June 2001 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Dee Thanks for response but where do the 1997/9 Regs refer to the assesment addressing structural features please? There is no such thing as a fire proof building. Most building elements are "combustible". They are graded according to the spread of flame and smoke. To ask for the assessment to identify "combustible" materials is far too broad a question and would involve detailed analysis which goes well beyond the risks arising. Surely the assessment question should be "Are there are visible building elements which could pose a high risk to means of escape in case of fire?". I must also correct you. The Building Regulations only cover structural alterations and new building works, not maintenance and improvements of existing buildings so a property could be 100 years old and have been adapted without the need to notify the local building inspector.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 29 June 2001 09:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mark Preston Robert The full text of Fire Safety - an employer's guide is here http://www.official-docu...cument/fire/contents.htm you'll find guidance on the kind of decorative and structural elements that need to be considered in an FRA
Admin  
#5 Posted : 29 June 2001 10:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek Robert. I believe this duty is implied in Section 5 of the Regs.that deals with Emergency Routes & Exits and uses the phrase"....due to features of the workplace...". The information I gave you regarding structural features is included in the Home Office publication, "Fire Precautions in the Workplace" - Information for Employers about the FP(W) Regs. 1997 - ISBN 0-11-341169-3. As for your "correction" on my comments about Building Regs., I stand by them. I suggest that a quick 'phone call to yor friendly Fire Prevention Officer will clarify any concerns you may have as to what is required. My advice is based on carrying out several fire risk assessments in conjunction with the FPO & ultimately having them "validated" as suitable and sufficient.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 05 July 2001 21:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Robert Fire risk assessment should assess the risks associated with the various parts of buildings/structures, for the resistance of their materials like walls, ceilings etc to the spread of flame. BS 467 in its various parts explains the principal and this is further explained within the Approved Document 'B' Fire Safety. Hope this is of assistance. Stuart Nagle