Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 June 2001 20:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE HI EVERYBODY NEED SOME INFO 1= IVE BEEN TOLD THAT A CONFINED SPACE THAT HAS HAD A GAS TEST AND IS SHOWING NO SIGNS OF DANGER AND IS ISOLATED FROM ALL SOURCES,IS VALID FOR UP TO 24HRS. I CAN SEE ON THE PERMIT TO WORK THAT WHERE THE GAS TEST READINGS ARE WROTE THAT INDEED THERE IS A BOX WITH A 24HR SPACE PROVIDED. 2= IF A C/SPACE NEEDS A GAS TEST CAN THERE REALLY BE A C/SPACE WHICH WOULD ONLY NEED THE 1 GAS TEST PER 24HR PERIOD. 3= IVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS COMMENT IS ACTUALLY WRITTEN DOWN SOMEWHERE. 4= SURELY ANY C/SPACE COULD NOT HAVE THIS PROCEDURE,YET THERE IS A 24HR BOX AS WELL AS A2,4,6,8 HR BOX 5= IT WORRIES ME THAT THE GAS TESTER BELIEVES THAT A C/SPACE CAN HAVE THIS TIME FACTOR,COULD THIS LEAD TO IT WAS OK WHEN I TESTED IT AND EVERY SOURCE IS ISOLATED,THERE IS NOTHING IN THE TANK,THE ATMOSPHERE WAS OK AT THE TIME SO I WILL DO ANOTHER GAS TEST WHEN THIS ONE HAS RUN OUT. 6= I CAN ONLY BELIEVE THAT WHEN HE WAS TAUGHT ON HOW TO USE A GAS TESTER THAT THIS COMMENT WAS MENTIONED. SURELY IT WOULD BE A LOT SAFER TO HAVE KEPT THIS COMMENT TO THEMSELVES RATHER THAN PUT THIS IDEA IN ONES HEAD. 7= MAYBE THIS COMMENT IS TRUE,BUT I FEEL MYSELF THAT THIS IS A PIECE OF INFORMATION IS ONE THAT I WOULD RATHER NOT KNOW ABOUT. SEEMS A BIT SCARY TO ME ANY INFO MOST WELCOME STEVE
Admin  
#2 Posted : 01 July 2001 10:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Steve, The frequency of atmosphere testing and monitoring will depend on your hazard analysis and the likelihood of the IDLH atmosphere re-occurring. The factors to consider will include the effectiveness of the isolation from all sources of harmful atmospheres, the rate of ingress where 100% isolation is not achieved, the effectiveness of the ventilation, rate of air consumption by c/s workers (breathing and work operation considerations). Where you do not have absolute certainty concerning the safety of the atmosphere, monitoring and testing will be required, the frequency of which will range from continuous to regular intervals, the interval determined by the results of your analysis. The 24 hrs. on your permit is but one of a range of options. If you require a more frequent monitoring, then specify that on the permit and ensure everyone, including the person responsible for testing, knows what the period is and that the testing takes place at the specified interval. Slan, Philip
Admin  
#3 Posted : 02 July 2001 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods What you need to ask yourself is would you enter the confined space in question 23 hours after you carried out the atmosphere test? I have extensive experience of working in confined spaces and I wouldn’t enter any confined space that was not being monitored whilst I was in there. How many people die in silos, tanks, sewers and other confined spaces each year? One is too many. If you have the testing equipment what is the problem in monitoring the atmosphere whilst the work is carried out. If it’s cost then tell me how much is a life worth. Bob woods.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2001 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan I would have thought that continuous monitoring is the answer to this. Most modern gas detection/monitoring equipment will continuously montor the atmosphere and alarm at set levels. Cost of these items is now not prohibitive.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2001 21:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Steve. Confined spaces cannot in the most part be turned off !! There are some that potentially could be, for example a tank, that had been completely islolated, cleaned completely,ventilated and the atmosphere made completely safe and it is known that nothing in the tank, work processes in the tank to be carried out or anything adjacent to the tank can affect it's condition. HOWEVER.... This is a very rare thing, and of course how sure is anyone that leaks at isolations will not occur etc, thus endangering the entrants in the tank. Confined spaces should be monitored prior to entry, and monitored continuously throughout entry ON ALL OCCASSIONS. Even when entrants leave a confined space, to take a break, change overalls, a smoke or whatever, the pre-entry procedures and gas testing should be repeated to ensure the space is still safe and continuously monitored again while occupied. Anyone who tells you different knows little, if anything, about confined spaces. Finally, I refer you to ACoP Note 41 of the Confined Spaces Regulations 1997. I suggest the person who monitors the atmosphere for you reads it !! Stuart Nagle
mojangfair  
#6 Posted : 06 September 2023 04:25:56(UTC)
mojangfair

Originally Posted by: Admin Go to Quoted Post
Posted By STEVE HI EVERYBODY NEED SOME INFO 1= IVE BEEN TOLD THAT A CONFINED SPACE THAT HAS HAD A GAS TEST AND IS SHOWING NO SIGNS OF DANGER AND IS ISOLATED FROM ALL SOURCES,IS VALID FOR UP TO 24HRS. I CAN SEE ON THE PERMIT TO WORK THAT WHERE THE GAS TEST READINGS ARE WROTE THAT INDEED THERE IS A BOX WITH A 24HR SPACE PROVIDED. 2= IF A C/SPACE NEEDS A GAS TEST CAN THERE REALLY BE A C/SPACE WHICH WOULD ONLY NEED THE 1 GAS TEST PER 24HR PERIOD. 3= IVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS COMMENT IS ACTUALLY WRITTEN DOWN SOMEWHERE. 4= SURELY ANY C/SPACE COULD NOT HAVE THIS PROCEDURE,YET THERE IS A 24HR BOX AS WELL AS A2,4,6,8 HR BOX 5= IT WORRIES ME THAT THE GAS TESTER BELIEVES THAT A C/SPACE CAN HAVE THIS TIME FACTOR,COULD THIS LEAD TO IT WAS OK WHEN I TESTED IT AND EVERY SOURCE IS ISOLATED,THERE IS NOTHING IN THE TANK,THE ATMOSPHERE WAS OK AT THE TIME SO I WILL DO ANOTHER GAS TEST WHEN THIS ONE HAS RUN OUT. 6= I CAN ONLY BELIEVE THAT WHEN HE WAS TAUGHT ON HOW TO USE A GAS TESTER THAT THIS COMMENT WAS MENTIONED. SURELY IT WOULD BE A LOT SAFER TO HAVE KEPT THIS COMMENT TO THEMSELVES RATHER THAN PUT THIS IDEA IN ONES HEAD. 7= MAYBE THIS COMMENT IS TRUE,BUT I FEEL MYSELF THAT THIS IS A PIECE OF INFORMATION IS ONE THAT I WOULD RATHER NOT KNOW ABOUT. 

SEEMS A BIT SCARY TO ME ANY INFO MOST WELCOME mini crossword STEVE

By Robert Woods, Posted You must decide if, 23 hours after doing an atmospheric test, you are willing to enter the contested tight place. Although I am used with working in such environments, I would never go into a confined location without someone else keeping an eye on things. How many individuals die every year from being trapped in places like silos, tanks, and sewers? Even one is too many. It seems like a waste of time not to monitor the air quality as the job is being done if the necessary testing equipment is available. Tell me how much you think a human life is worth if money is an issue. Timber Bob.

HSSnail  
#7 Posted : 06 September 2023 06:49:42(UTC)
HSSnail

Is this a record - replying to a thread that ended 22 years ago?

thanks 1 user thanked HSSnail for this useful post.
peter gotch on 06/09/2023(UTC)
Alan Haynes  
#8 Posted : 06 September 2023 07:20:10(UTC)
Alan Haynes

Chatbot in action????

Edited by user 06 September 2023 07:20:52(UTC)  | Reason: Not specified

thanks 3 users thanked Alan Haynes for this useful post.
HSSnail on 06/09/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 06/09/2023(UTC), A Kurdziel on 06/09/2023(UTC)
HSSnail  
#9 Posted : 06 September 2023 07:28:24(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: Alan Haynes Go to Quoted Post
Chatbot in action????

I was thinking same - a few threads now that look as if they are being targeted by AI - and i use I in the very lose seance!

peter gotch  
#10 Posted : 06 September 2023 10:31:48(UTC)
peter gotch

TWO postings from this new user, the other one dredged up from September 2012.

At least not trying to recommend any training - YET.

A Kurdziel  
#11 Posted : 06 September 2023 11:42:13(UTC)
A Kurdziel

Looking at the original post ( from before I fell into the pit of despair known as H&S) I think that the reference   in HSSNail’s reply “- a few threads now that look as if they are being targeted by AI - and i use I in the very lose seance!” to séance as oppose to sense is appropriate is this definitely trying to raise the dead!

thanks 2 users thanked A Kurdziel for this useful post.
HSSnail on 06/09/2023(UTC), peter gotch on 06/09/2023(UTC)
HSSnail  
#12 Posted : 06 September 2023 12:30:30(UTC)
HSSnail

Originally Posted by: A Kurdziel Go to Quoted Post

to séance as oppose to sense is appropriate is this definitely trying to raise the dead!

Sometimes spell check knows what im trying to say better than i do - dyslexia rules KO!