Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 02 July 2001 13:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Mervyn Coldron I wonder if there is anyone out there who can offer me advice on obtaining employment in a health & safety position. For over three and a half years I was employed as the H&S Officer for Arjo Wiggins Carbonless Papers, a paper manufacturer based near Cardiff, the site employed over four hundred personnel, plus up to one hundred contractors at any given time, and over three thousand employees world wide. During my time at Cardiff I was able to gain valuable experience in many aspects of H&S with a very quick learning curve, I was also fortunate to visit many other manufacturing sites both in the UK and in Europe. On commencing my new position the company decided to send me on the BSC Diploma in Safety Management which I duly achieved and also became a MIIRSM. Due to the restructuring of the company the Cardiff site was closed and I was made redundant. I actively set about gaining another position in H&S but quickly discovered that the BSC DipSM might not be the qualification I had first thought it was. I decided to sit the NEBOSH General Certificate as this appeared to be the minimum qualification required for many of the H&S vacancies. I was now able to add another H&S qualification to my CV. Initially this appeared to improve the response from prospective employers and interviews followed, but no job offer came. I then decided to study for the NEBOSH Diploma part 1. (on going) We now get to my dilemma, the feedback I seem to get when applying for H&S vacancies is that companies seem reluctant to employ me in lesser positions, ie assistant H&S advisor/ officer positions because due to my previous position and experience they feel I am only using it as a stop gap or a stepping stone to something bigger (this is despite the fact that I am paying for my own qualifications) and even with my experience, my lack of " NEBOSH Diploma " and "MIOSH " status I find that I'm overlooked for higher positions. I seem to be stuck between a rock and a hard place, I feel very passionate about H&S and I am confident that I can contribute greatly given the opportunity. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation, if so how did you overcome it? Or is there anyone who can offer me some advice as to how I should proceed in securing a position in H&S. In the mean time I will continue to apply for suitable vacancies and contact the recruitment agencies eg Sypol, Principal People etc. Regards Mervyn Coldron
Admin  
#2 Posted : 02 July 2001 19:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Mervyn, You seem to be suffering because of the same professional dogma that many other competent H&S professionals suffer as a result of. Namely that unless you are MIOSH, FIOSH, RSP etc. etc. then you are obviously incompetent. This belief is perpetuated by IOSH at the beginning of every appointments section of the SHP magazine whereby they pigeon hole everybody to force employers to discriminate in favour of people with paperwork qualifications rather than those who can actually do the job. My advice is keep on trying as frustraing as it may be and eventually it will come right. There are 1 or 2 employers out there who still value experience. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2001 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP Hi, This was a problem I faced- some suggestions: 1) Use what you have been told to your advantage. Consider working for a charity etc whilst you get your qualifications. 2) Consider how (even if) you put down your previous Diploma on the forms. 3) Have you considered an NVQ level 4?- this would utilise your knowledge and your experience and is considered as equivalent to the NEBOSH Diploma for MIOSH? 4) (Are you aware of the other two parts of the forum- in which there are some threads which you may be useful)?