Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 03 July 2001 16:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Hill Could someone please advise me as to the frequency for portable appliance testing of electrical equipment. Specific areas such as offices, warehouses and motor vehicle parts departments are my main area of interest. Also where young people may be employed or in training either on Advanced Modern Apprenticeships or Vocational training programmes. Which regulation applies to this. Many thanks Paul
Admin  
#2 Posted : 04 July 2001 07:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tony Overbury Paul The HSE have published some information that you might find useful. You can find it on their website at the following address: http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/elecindx.htm Hope this helps. Tony Overbury
Admin  
#3 Posted : 04 July 2001 21:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood The IEE have the definitive Code of Practice on the Periodic Testing of Portable and Transportable Electrical Equipment - try their website and look at their publications to find it - we use it as the best guide available and it is compatible with HSE Guidance. It gives notional periods for inspection depending on usage and type so it is very practical. I'm sorry that I have not got the precise reference to hand at present.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 04 July 2001 21:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood The reference you want from the www.iee.org website is; Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment, (Second Edition) The IEE Code of Practice for In-Service Inspection and Testing of Electrical Equipment gives guidance to those responsible for the inspection, testing and maintenance of electric appliances. It also provides advice on compliance with health and safety legislation. The text specifies the frequency and scope of inspections and testing in different environments. Full Contents List, Errata. WR 233, 81pp., 297 x 210 mm, ISBN 0 85296 776 4, 2001, £25 / US$ 45 Two short courses based on the code are available from the IEE Courses Unit. Hope this helps, George.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 05 July 2001 14:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods Keighley Worksafe provide free yes FREE information on PA Testing and many other Health and Safety related topics. Give them acall on 01535 664462 or email bob@klyworksafe.fsnet.co.uk
Admin  
#6 Posted : 10 July 2001 18:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Hill Thanks to all of you who replied. Very much appreciated. Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 11 July 2001 20:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jan Moore Could anyone help me to provide a length of extension lead which would be safe for a given load? i.e. How would you calculate the length of extension lead to run say a 5 amp PC? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thankyou Jan