Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 09 July 2001 09:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lorraine Dyer I would appreciate any views on the following: I recently carried out a number of generic COSHH Assessments for our charity shops and produced a list of Approved Substances. On our list of 'banned substances' are items containing bleach and also aerosol airfresheners. The latter has caused some upset as there are many occasions when instant freshening of fitting rooms is required. My first question is am I being overzealous in banning aerosols? (I felt that I had gone through each of the steps required by COSHH -i.e. there was a safer alternative- solid air fresheners). My second question is does anyone know of any (off the shelf) non aerosol alternatives that can provide instant air freshening? (I have looked at product called ALphasan but this is quite expensive-we have 270 charity shops)
Admin  
#2 Posted : 09 July 2001 13:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Annetta Maslen Lorraine, In the absence of a more suitable product: In a similar situation in the past I have recommended that aerosols can be used, provided that they are used as a last resort and only in accordance with instructions; always put away after use - especially not left on radiators, or other heat sources; STORED CORRECTLY - i.e. out of direct sunlight, a cool place; not purchased in bulk because of the risk of explosion/fire from being stored in conditions which are too hot; that any health conditions of users/occupiers are considered e.g. asthma. This information also to be included in all training/induction procedures for staff/volunteers. Hope this helps. Annetta
Admin  
#3 Posted : 09 July 2001 13:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Juliet Fennell There are pump action sprays available, One such one is Neutradol, it is very effective and is not a presureised aerosol, I have bought it in supermarkets. Hope this helps. Juliet
Admin  
#4 Posted : 09 July 2001 14:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Francis MSc MIOSH RSP For Bleach- have you considered differentiating between "Thick"- often banned-and "thin"- ok to use- sounds daft but it works quite well?
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 July 2001 14:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor It's generally a matter of assessing risk rather than outright bans - but I agree that where safer alternatives are available they should be used. Aerosols tend to either contain flammable propellants or Ozone -depleting CFCs but an earlier respondant rightly directs you to other forms of propelling the chemical (atomisers and the like). 'Milton' is basically 'bleach' it's all a matter of concentration!
Admin  
#6 Posted : 09 July 2001 18:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Leadbetter Lorraine You may well be correct in banning the use of aerosols but, if the main reason is the flammability of the propellant, COSHH is not the instrument to use as substances which are dangerous 'only' because of their flammability are not covered by COSHH. There may well be aerosols which contain substances that can irritate susceptible individuals although selectively banning these products may be difficult. As other correspondents have already said, there are more suitable products readily available. REGARDS Paul
Admin  
#7 Posted : 10 July 2001 11:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By George Wedgwood In our Corporate Offices, we have started using an air freshener which smells very good and is unobtrusive and solid. It is called 'Tagfresh' and is available form several suppliers - try; http://www.allbright-shiny.co.uk/sca.htm It is a green 'rubber' disc and it hangs up on a convenient hook or it could be ties with some string. It appears to last quite a while.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 10 July 2001 13:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Lorraine Dyer Thank you for all your responses they have been very helpful indeed!