Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 10 July 2001 08:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Kirton Hi everyone, Can anyone recommend any training the safety trainer courses that they have attended? Regards Peter K
Admin  
#2 Posted : 10 July 2001 09:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Steve Whittle I went on a Corporate Train the Safety Trainer course a few years ago. It was run run by a consultant called Richard Jones. (Ex HSE Factory Inspector I think) Last known contact details are....... Tel: 01254 813418 Fax: 01254 814116 He normally runs 4 day courses for up to 10 people, usually within one organisation. I don't know if he runs open forum courses, but its worth asking. The course was very interactive and well run. Hope this helps, Regards, Steve Whittle
Admin  
#3 Posted : 10 July 2001 22:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Kirton Thanks Steve, unfortunately the course run by Richard Jones is not an open forum course. Thanks again Peter K
Admin  
#4 Posted : 11 July 2001 10:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Pollington Peter I know that Human Focus run a one day train the H&S trainer course, I did this a couple of years ago and found it very good value. They can be contacted on www.trainingsolutions.co.uk or 0181 6403535 The other avenue that can be taken is to study for the City & Guilds 7306 teachers certificate, I have just completed this over the past year at college, I did the course because increasingly I was developing courses and carrying out training for my organisation, and although I had good subject knowledge and a NEBOSH diploma under my belt, when it came to training I considered myself to be an enthusiastic ammateur and not a competent professional trainer. I know that the colleges local to me will not let anybody train in them unless a formal qualification is held. Having been trained in the past by some very good trainers and some very bad ones I feel that maybe there should be a mimimum standard that a trainer has to achieve before calling themselves a H&S trainer. What do others think ? Chris.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 July 2001 20:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alex Watts Peter, In a word, No. But my reason for responding is that I did the CIEH group training course last year as they require this (or other suitable qualification) of anyone delivering their programme. It gives you a piece of paper, but if you want to learn as opposed to get the bit of paper, it's a waste of time - in my opinion. Alex
Admin  
#6 Posted : 15 August 2001 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Macleod Peter, Just over a year ago, I attended a "Train the Safety Trainer" course at National Training Services in Northampton. It was a three day course and was quite good. The handouts I recieved were less than spectacular but the knowledge I gained over the three days certainly helped my confidence when I returned to my place of work to commence the short training exercises etc required of me. The company normally run an ad in the S & H practitioner and can be contacted on 01604 472277. Good luck in your future endeavours. Regards Frank Macleod