Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 14 July 2001 12:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris Are lightning conductors required eg for existing hotel properties under safety law or under building regulations? Are they designed to protect the building or the occupants? Where can I search for details like ACOPs and/or relevant regulations. All suggestions greatly appreciated.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 July 2001 07:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Chris. Firstly I am not an Electrical Engineer or an electrical expert but my experience suggests that you consider the following. I don't know for sure but I believe that Lightning Protection in the UK is required for Public and Commercial premises, under Building Regulations. Lightning protection is to protect the Building/Structure. Try British standards. BS6651 comes to mind - Protection of Structures against Lightning. Your Insurers or Insurance Brokers may well be able to offer some advice as Lightning Protection would assist their Risk Exposure, (Think of the FIRE at York Minster and the destruction 0f The Rose Window - Lightning Strike some years ago). Also under Building Regs and Electrical Installations IEE 16th., Edition Code, Earthing/Grounding requirements are defined and probably Lightning Protection as well. Try the IEE, Institution of Electrical Engineers Web site. www.iee.org Also talk to your Local Electricity Supply Company. If you are in the Hotel Business then I think Lightning Protection and Voltage Surge Protection would be important to you, not only for the protection of your building(s), but for the Protection of electronic equipment and systems so that surges caused by Lightning do not cause collapse or disruption of your Computer Equipment, or your customers computer equipment - business people working on your guest room provided Computer and Internet link systems and Modem connections. You don't want a stack of claims for failed personal Lap tops! Your M&E plant for Hotel services also needs protecting:- such as Air Conditioners, Chillers, Lifts and Lift motors, Communication systems, switching systems for water and Fire riser pumps and the like. Try also the Heating and ventilating Contractors Association Web site, www.hvca.org.uk Try also the DETR or it's newly named site, which as I am currently working out of the UK I can't tell you, but I think the old site: www.detr.gov.uk will get you to the new site, there you should find the Building Regs information, or references to it. Another site that might help you is the Royal institute of British Architects at: www.architecture.com Also if you enter Lightning or Lightning strikes or similar on the Browser Bar of your computer you will come up wih a vast array of sites. My particular interest at the present time about Lightning is the Protection of workers in the field on open Construction sites and on temporary works and new Steel structures under erection. I am in Hong Kong and during the rainy season we get numerous and svere Thunderstorms and lighning strike is quite common, so a policy of how and when you stop work on certain tasks and with certain equipment is important, as is the ability to track the storms and predict the possible risk to your work site. Our temporary structures and our contractors Tower Cranes all have to have Lightning protection fitted. Hope this information helps. Regards. Ken
Admin  
#3 Posted : 16 July 2001 19:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Harris Ken Urquhart, thanks for the extensive amount of information. It's very much appreciated. Chris Harris