Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 17 July 2001 13:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Bouch Does anyone have any information on the use of air bags to prevent falls of over 2m. Used mainly in the house construction market. Any help or guidance would be much appreciated
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 July 2001 18:09:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Alyson Wilson John, I've used air mats before in house building on several projects and found them to be very good. The company that supplies them is Air Mat UK, which are based in Aldershot. Tel No: 01252 851903. They will supply you with information and a demonstration. Hope this information helps. Alyson
Admin  
#3 Posted : 18 July 2001 10:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Gary Cutter Hi Try and speak with Dr Mark Cooper at Aston University. I think they have been doing some research with HSE about air-bags. His number is 0121 359 3611. Regards Gary Cutter
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 July 2001 20:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter J Harvey On a serious note 'honestly' I understand that there has also been some research carried out into the use of bean bags for fall protection.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 19 July 2001 06:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart John. This may sound a bit far fetched but it is true and I have eluded to it in these columns before. I am based in Hong kong and some 4 or 5 monhs ago I saw an article in an Asian, (From Japan) Business magazine where there was an item on a garment,rather like a Hi-viz waistcoat cum Life jacket if I may describe it like that. The idea was as I understood the text, that the garment was an Air Bag and that if you fell from a relatively low level whilst wearing it, the sensors would activate, inflate the garment and provide what I could probably only describe as a Michelin man type upper body protector that when you impacted at the end of your fall, gave you protection and minimised injury severity. Unfortuneately I put the magazine down and it has since been disposed of by person or persons unknown and I have ever since been trying to find the origins of the article and the device. I am still searching and if I come across the system and the information, rest assured that I shall post the details on these pages. Equally if anyone else out there in the Asia Pacific region is reading this and has any information please pass it on via this chat forum or e-mail me at: kenurquhart@pccw.com Remember, you heard it on the IOSH Chat forum FIRST. Regards. ken
Admin  
#6 Posted : 19 July 2001 09:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Ken I can confirm the news item, but not the source. I read it in a UK source which was relating it to a similar device being suggested for motor cyclists. If you're in that area you might want to check out the Japanese research sites, particularly the motor cycle orientated ones Richard
Admin  
#7 Posted : 19 July 2001 09:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Response for Richard. Thanks Richard, I will check it out along the lines that you suggest and get back to the forum when and if I have some news. The original article that I saw definitely targeted the dvice at Construction and falls from Height. Anyway, thanks again for your input. Regards. Ken