Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 21 July 2001 21:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By simon fuller Here is the score chinese cooking uses a wok. heat is very intense hazard burns from heat and direct contact with spitting oil. controls ??? longer handles on wok not possibel nor are covers on the wok is there a possible answer with gloves after normal hierachy exhausted !!! does anyone know of any good glove suppliers that i can speak to ???? look forward to replies simon
Admin  
#2 Posted : 23 July 2001 17:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Andrew Powell Dear Simon, Have you considered all the options, before PPE. What about a captor hood? A close hood draws heat away from the wok with the use of fans. Is the oil splashing up, do your employees need head/eye/torso protection? I would have thought that glove supplier’s once contacted would queue up to trial gloves. Due you subscribe to IOSH’s magazine, The Practitioner? There are always new and existing suppliers with new and innovative products advertised. The April 2001 issue covered a range of chemical and cut resistant gloves. Contact United Business Media for a back issue or a subscription, or alternatively join IOSH, the magazine is free with IOSH membership. Gloves Try contacting Marigold’s, they manufacture more than just “marigolds”. This is an old sales rep contact number, try it (07860) 403362. The 2 catalogues I have to hand are RS. (rswww.com), and Seton. (www.seton.co.uk) Safety glasses Try UVEX safety. If you cannot get them I the yellow pages, let me know. Good luck
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 July 2001 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Robert Woods 1/.Why not replace the wok, QVC seem to have some good ideas. 2/. Contact your local chinese restaurant and ask what they do. 3/.[Seriously]Cooking with a wok should use very little oil so there should be little chance of being burned by oil. My father was a chef and his wok had a handle and so does Ken Homs. A decent ventilation system will also reduce exposure to carcinogens that can be created through heating oil or fat to high temperatures. Robert Woods.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 July 2001 12:19:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Frank Cooper Simon, The same problem can arise with the use of frying pans! A pan (of any description) with a handle can make little difference to the splashing of hot oil which tends to occur particularly when wet food is added to it. I would suggest you contact your local catering college and ask them what they recommend. Frank Cooper