Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 July 2001 18:27:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith For those of you who are interested in the above, details of this are now published on the IRCA website www.irca.org I am sure that the Criteria for Initial Certification will cause much debate
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 July 2001 17:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Arran Linton - Smith The exact location is : http://www.irca.org/audi...rt/mainsub_frameset.html Then you need to press the OH&S button on that webb page. This document is in the form of a pdf file.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 25 July 2001 18:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Waldram Having had absolutely nothing to do with this new standard, and having found it thanks to Arran's note, I'm actually most encouraged. I'm sure there will be lots of interest and no doubt some ideas for improvement, but I see lots of excellent parts, and few that seem too controversial (my experience is as a first- or second-party auditor). The insistence on CPD is an excellent point, and I find the wording of that section very thoughtful. The standards required from those providing the linked training also seem good.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 July 2001 11:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Hazel Harvey The Professional Affairs Committee of IOSH have been involved with the development of the criteria for the IRCA OSH audititors certification for some time now. They obviously have had concerns regarding the level of OHS competence of people who may undertake audits. Like any criteria there has had to be some compromise, particularly to reflect the international auditors remit that IRCA have to cover, where IOSH members will not necessarily be involved.However, PAC are now happy that the concerns they expressed have been met and look forward to working with IRCA as the Institution will be assisting IRCA to clarify the level and applicability of potential auditors qualifications. We are currently running a course which may lead to IRCA certification within our CPD programme should anyone be interested in gaining this certification.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 July 2001 13:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jay Joshi Anything that enhances the competence and credibility of OH&S Auditors needs to be seen positively and welcomed. I wonder how many in IOSH membership overall will be comfortable, and some may even question the rationale of some aspects of the INITIAL CERTIFICATION CRITERIA--as Arran indicated. It states, for Academic Qualifications:- Applicants must possess a degree or near-degree level qualification in a subject relevant to the technical aspects of OH&S. Examples of relevant subjects would include science and engineering disciplines in addition to the more specific OH&S and related programmes. In addition, applicants shall possess a recognised OH&S qualification. To be accepted for certification, qualifications must have been awarded by an institution recognised by a national governmental body or accredited by a national professional body. IRCA maintain and are able to refer to an extensive database of recognised technical, academic and professional qualifications awarded in most countries throughout the world. The criteria:- Applicants must possess a degree or near-degree level qualification in a subject relevant to the technical aspects of OH&S. Examples of relevant subjects would include science and engineering disciplines in addition to the more specific OH&S and related programmes. This criteria will exclude many that do not have the science/engineering academic background. It is essentially similar to the criteria that is required in ISO 10011 Whereas I can see the advantage in purely OH&S competence, if one had to deal with activities that required it, I am not convinced fully of this strict requirement for Auditing of Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems--which deals primarily with THE OH&S MANAGEMENT SYSTEM and not the technical/engineering aspects of OH&S.