Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 August 2001 10:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Larry Meager I need to access relatively specific advise, in the form of Government Codes of Practice, Guidelines or Construction Industry Standards etc, relating to the installation and placement of major concrete bridge beams onto piers etc. In particular transport, lifting and placement. Likewise I am interested in the role and legal obligation of designers in relation to "installability". I need to be able to access the information directly from the internet. Larry Meager. Geelong, Australia
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 August 2001 13:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Philip McAleenan Larry, there are a number of links to government and construction industry web-sites in Australia at this link, http://www.web-safety.co...s/HotSites.htm#Australia Similar sites in other countries are also available Philip
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2001 07:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Urquhart Larry. Try Australian sites. www.nohsc.gov.au www.safetyline.wa.gov.au In both cases use their search function. I tried it and it came up with all sorts of papers etc relating to Craneage Safety and Construction safety etc., Also do not limit your search to Australia. Look Internationaly. For Engineering and Design guidance other than legislative, look at UK www.ice.org.uk I am sure that Australia also has an Institution of Civil Engineers and of Structural Engineers and they will I am sure have web sites, try a local search engine. Try The UK based Construction Industry Research and Information Association, CIRIA. www.ciria.org.uk. Go to their search and go to publications, look for R155 BRIDGES-design for improved buildability. Also for Cranes look at British Standards Institute. Try BS7121 parts 1/2/3/4/5/11/and 12 see:- http://bsonline.techindex.co.uk Also using search look at old Bridge Projects, their construction, the disasters, the technology, the methodology etc. Probably the first and most well known is the Suspension bridge in the USA, The Tacoma Narrows Bridge,1940 identified the engineering technology for all suspension Bridges since. Try the UK. LODDON Bridge Collapse,(Near Basingstoke or even earlier The Barton Bridge Collapse on The Manchester Ship Canal) the Former following the enquiry created The Bragg Committee and its Report which in turn generated the BS Code of Practice for Falsework. Look at the history of Box Girder Bridges and the strengthening that was required, The Merrison Report and the welding in of stiffners. Also in UK but in terms of design and buildability look up what you can about the Millenium Bridge that was built across The THAMES in London to celebrate the 21st Century. There will be some interesting design and construction criteria availaable for that. (May be limited as some of the stuff might still be subject to litigation that could still be ongoing as to why it developed a severe sway/swing after opening with people on it and why it had to be closed, design checked, new damper anti sway designs established and proved and remedials made) Also in London,search for Construction data for The London Eye, the giant Ferris Wheel on the banks of the Thames, (Sponsored by British Airways for the Millenium), It had a significant rigging problem during the hoisting of the wheel and the lift had to stopped. There will I am sure be significant lifting technology information here. Look nearer home, Check out the major collapse incident of The Yarra River Crossing. Big Bridge, big spans, beams or box girders, I can't quite remember, major lifts, fell into the Yarra River during Construction, workers killed, must be reams of papers in Australia about this one. Go to Europe and follow up the KOBLENZ Bridge collapse. Some of these incidents go well back in time, 1960's, 1970's and 1980's (I am not really old, Iv'e just been around a long time in Construction Health & safety - some of my colleagues might say too long!! and I believe that I have a reasonable memory). But much of the learning that came out of thse Bridge disasters has and to some extent still today is the influence or currency behind the guidance and design criteria that is in use today. Also in Asia/Pacific look out with a web search what you can on the Japanese Bridge at KOBI. The design had to be reviewed and buildability seriously questioned etc., as the structure is built on top of an Earthquake fault line. Also during it's construction phase you may recall the devastating earthquake that struck and virtually demolished KOBI, the Bridge, it stood, and in fact it is now complete and in daily use. It also crosses a fair expanse of water and required some significant Lifting, Craneage and Rigging arrangements during it's construction. Some American sites with Crane information. www.osha.gov/ www.doh.dot.state.nc.us/safety/safezone/arch33.htm www.saftek.com/plant.htm Other UK sites with links that might help. www.hse.gov.uk/search.htm www.leea.co.uk/. Try also using your browser bar and search typing in relevent topics and you will get lots of options, (some may be more colourful or explicit than you might expect when entering Enginering terms etc, but such is life!!!) Use Search Engines, I don't know what you have in Australia but I find in Asia www.alltheweb.com works well. I hope some of this rambling information is of interest and help. Regards. Ken Urquhart