Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 15 April 2003 16:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Date: 15/4/03 Location: Busy trunk "A" road in densely populated urban area For risk assessment purposes it has been agreed that the lenght of the "A" road constitutes a single site given the type of work involved. Job being done: Amenity grass cutting (parkway) along the route Work equipment - Ransome 213 triple mower and John Deere front mounted flail Staff on site - 2 - one either side of road At 09.30 hrs one of the team arrives on site. Parks up the van and trailer in a safe, convenient, secure place avoiding causing an obstruction/ nuisance. In a folder in the van is the paper work for the site - risk assessment and method statement etc. He starts work and as he travels the distance between him and the van increases At 11.30 'ish the second team member arrives on site having collected a mower from the repair shop. He parks up in a spot that is not as safe but where he is not causing an obstruction/ nuisance. In this van there is no paper work relating to the ongoing works/site but the van is about 300m away from the grass cutters. The H&S manager for the client comes to do a site audit at 12.30'ish The H&S manager is annoyed that the risk assessments and method statement and daily site specific check list are not being carried by both the people in the team cutting the grass and that the van with the paperwork parked up about 2 miles back is unacceptable and feels this needs to be made into an issue. The contractors reply that they feel it would be awkward to have paperwork out on the mowers as there is a lack of adequate/ suitable storage space and it would likely get dirty/wet/ lost etc and the proposal is not very workable This is not accepted by the client H&S manager Legally nothing is being contravened
Admin  
#2 Posted : 15 April 2003 17:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jason Gould Can see both pionts here. A little over reactive from the managers point of veiw but surely a waterproof walet could have been attatched to mowers. the hs manager is protecting the clients liability and trying to ensure that all employees have thes method statements and risk assessments with them when working. if the second work chopped his hand off in the machine and there was no preventative measures in place think of the compensation. where as if it is proved that risk assessment was read and method statement was in possesion possible defences start to arise. this can escalate out of hand. i would recomend both parties sit down and discuss the situation. if the method statements are not realistic tell him.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 15 April 2003 19:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Merv Newman This is a perenial (how do you spell that) problem. Management responsability is to ensure that all workers are aware of the risks and of the safe working method agreed. And, as the americans say - period. How you do it is your decision, but you gotta do it. Merv
Admin  
#4 Posted : 16 April 2003 20:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Benedict. I don't see what all the fuss is about. Risk assessments are undertaken to identify hazards, assess risk levels, and put in place control measures to eliminate the risk or reduce them to tolerable levels. I assume as the gripe is not with the risk assessment itself, this has been done. The only other requirement is that the findings of the risk assessment are made known to the persons who will be undertaking the work (and if necessary those affected). I assume this has been done and the operatives are aware of the hazards, risks and control measures, and are putting the control measures in hand in the course of the work. If this is so then what exactly is the H&S Manager for the client complaining about. These documents are on site, although I would agree that in a van 2 miles away is stretching the point a little. It is safe to have these documents on-board the tractor? One assumes that the operatives lunch is there, so why not a clipboard with the paperwork on !! In view of the hazards to passing motorists, stones flying etc, one assumes that warning signs are also put out prior to works to cover 'the site' and warn others of the risks that may affect them? has the H&S manager looked at this and is it included in your method statement? method statements describe the task and how it should be undertaken. These I would have thought were passed to the client and agreed prior to the contract/works being undertaken. If so the H&S Manager should have raised any objections then if known, and not now, however the same applies, can they not be on a clipboard in the tractor? I suppose the halfway house here would have been for the H&S Manager to ask the operatives to explain the contents of these documents to ensure that they were, in actual fact, aware of their content and the methods to be employed. this could have satisfied both parties that all was well if the work was indeed being conducted in accordance with the risk assessment(s) and method statement(s).... I'm sute some middle ground can be found to solve this very simple issue!!
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 April 2003 08:58:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Thank you Stuart for your message. Re - lunch etc. No the drivers don't carry their lunches out with them on the mower as they find they get spoiled either by the heat generated from the engines or the dirt and dust caused by the work or by the weather. One of them smokes and doesn't carry his cigarettes with him for the same reasons. I find your other comments apt. Benedict
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 April 2003 09:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Yes Merv, I agree, this is precisely the nub of the question. What I'm interested in is the wriggle room between complying with the legistlation, following a safe system (which is often subjective), and being reasonable and practicable or suitable and appropriate or however. It's a question of perspective. On a large scale building site I'm not sure that each member of a team has a copy of the site specific risk assessment to hand on them. I would think that copies would be held by the project/ site manager in the site office.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 17 April 2003 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Yes Jason. This is how I felt. A little over reactive and what about talking about things. Yes, I'm not ruling out what the client H&S manager wants. I am interested in suggestions for negotiating a way forward. Thank you for yours. A problem with carrying things on these types of mower is that they often fall off, fall out,get shoggled about so they get blown away, get dirty, get mangled. Water proof wallets are often made from plastics and these can be damaged by the heat generated from the engine/ small fires from dry grass build- up on the mower
Admin  
#8 Posted : 17 April 2003 09:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Martyn Hendrie I think that Stuart has got it right. The law requires that the worker receives the information in a "comprehensible" format.(A way in which they can understand) If your grass cutter could not read (and all too many workers can't) having the documentation on the machine would be of little benefit. The key is that the assessment and method statement have been done, are properly recorded, explained to the workers and followed.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 17 April 2003 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Dean Sorry if this sounds like i'm being a tad thick. But where does it say in any Legislation that the risk assessment must be with the worker at all times, because if thats so then, for example, on a construction site anyone using a breaker, working at height etc. would need to have a copy of risk assessment on them at all times...cause that would happen! I belive that there is such a thing as 'over kill' in health & safety, and some people go to far. What would be the point of putting a risk assessment on a lawnmower! surely putting a warning sticker on it about wearing goggles, ear defender etc. would be sufficent in the eys of the law, and holding the documents in the van! Simon
Admin  
#10 Posted : 17 April 2003 10:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Martyn, I too thought that Stuart has got bit about right. But that is only an opinion. The question is how to counter the requirements/ demands being made without appearing unco-operative, argumentative or peevish.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 17 April 2003 10:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Im with Stuart on this one, if I told all our staff that they had to carry a risk assessment on all their equipment, id be linched!! We carry out the assessment, and explain all issues with the workers, they ahve feedback and discussions to make sure they understand and follow it through. As long as its been carried out, they know where it is and they understand all of it then cant see a problem Ian
Admin  
#12 Posted : 17 April 2003 11:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Simon, you have cheered me up. I thought I may be being awkward. There is no requirement under current legistlation, but as part of the safe system of work being rolled out this is now becoming a requirement demanded by the client. As far the HSE are concerned there is no requirement but if the client feels that this will help develop a safe system of work they have no particular comment to make as the legistlation is usually a minimum requirement
Admin  
#13 Posted : 17 April 2003 11:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Ian, there very nearly was a lynching. Not only did the staff not appreciate the request, there was the issue of the tone it was delivered in and the attitude demonstrated towards them. There day was spoilt and they just felt like packing up, going home and jacking in the job. Benedict
Admin  
#14 Posted : 17 April 2003 14:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I know its Thurdsday before the Easter weekend but will say this anyway! Until this profession weeds out (no pun intended) or trains out the overbearing, officious policing bullyboy H&S people we will not progress in the eyes of other 'Professions'. This H&S person In my opinion was not acting 'professionaly' or with any forethought as to the ramifications of his actions and needs a course in communicating skills. Problem you have mate in an ever increasing world of contracting out etc and good client - contractor relationships to keep repeat businees "The Customer is always right" even if they are not!!!!!!
Admin  
#15 Posted : 17 April 2003 15:13:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Dave - sadly, I fear you have squarely hit the nail on the head. I would take the "if" out and replace with "when" or perhaps include an "and" between the words. But as you say; "in your opinion". The H&S manager obviously thought otherwise This is why I posted this message to try and get a feel on how to reply to the manager (as I feel a response is necessary to be able to explore the potential within this situation for antagonising those affected by this professions actions resulting in ineffectiveness and derision)
Admin  
#16 Posted : 18 April 2003 07:41:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Hutchings I felt that I had to respond to this discussion and agree totally with the last comments. People very often seem to 'miss the point' of good safety management entirely. The aim must be to ensure that the hazards are identified and adequate risk control measures are put in place and understood. There is no need to have risk assessments on site when the employees understand the hazards and what control measures should be applied. The longer we use a very rule based and prescriptive approach such as this the longer we will breed people who only refer to procedures and not fully understand the hazards and preventative measures. Obviously assessments can be used as an aide memoire if need be. I have been to too many sites where bulky method statements have been irrelevant to how the real risks are managed on site. As with all aspects of safety management the key is sufficient communication, feedback and understanding. Unfortunately for our profession, there are still too many 'Safety Officer' types who are not at all pragmatic and would benefit from some training in management and communication techniques. Phew - got that off my chest!
Admin  
#17 Posted : 18 April 2003 08:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Benedict. Thank you for responding to my comments on your problem. In reading the additional threads and youir responses I think you answered your own question here. You have stated: 1) there is little room to safety carry documents on the plant 2) there may be a fire risk due to engine heat etc 3) it is impractical for various reasons as the plant is not designed to carry paperwork in this manner 3) the legal requirements to undertake a risk assessment, identify hazards, quantify risk, put control measures in place and inform staff of the findings has been done. In addition the assessments are (technically) on site in the van 4) you have produced method statements that descibe the task and the manner in which the work must be safely performed. I think presentation of these facts in writing to the head of department, drawing attention to the request by the H&S officer inspecting the site would result in the matter being resolved. This is NOT going over the H&S officers head as (I presume) you are dealing with a Local Authority/Highways Agency, all letter should be addressed to the head of department i.e. the Proncipal Engineer, who would read the letter before passing it on to the relevant officer for action/response. Having spend 25 years in Local Government involved in highways work, I am sure that such a reasoned argument in this manner would get results for you here.
Admin  
#18 Posted : 22 April 2003 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Ian, Thanks very much. Hope you had a good Easter. I'm pleased you bring up the issue of communication. Think about it. The safety manager is concerned that information is being passed to the relevant people. How is this achieved? Easy, make it a requirement that they have a copy of the operational risk assessment on site and with them at all times. The principle is maybe not such a bad one. The problem is how to carry this out practically, easily and affordably.
Admin  
#19 Posted : 22 April 2003 08:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Stuart, Hope you had a good Easter. Thanks for your interest. I'm worried that I may be reacting unfairly. I'm not so sure that the safety manager maybe isn't maybe making an excellent point "in principal". Think about where warning signs etc. are posted.Directly where they are to be considered. Put yourself on a small yacht, will you have documents with you.Probably,---- maps, charts etc. to be referred to. In the past I have done orienteering and we always had maps with us for reference. I've worked in research on field trips--- we carried documents and reference materials with us. The team had a first aid kit with them, a fire extinguisher, a toolkit, and a mobile phone. Maybe a risk assessment should be there also. How do we actively raise perception and awareness of hazard and risks at work if the chain is incomplete.
Admin  
#20 Posted : 22 April 2003 14:15:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman An interesting thread that I have read with an almost perverse enjoyment! That will probably get someone asking'what is he talking about?' In reality it brings back fond memories of my time with a Local Authority. I certainly hope that my approach was not as rgid as the H&S Manager mentioned. One tale of over an zealous approach was a contractor's H&S manager/adviser hiding behind a bush to try and catch operatives not wearing their helmets. At the time, I wondered what size jackboots he wore. However, from an advisory point of view, my approach would have been to discuss things with the operatives to ID their lavel of awareness. I could have even been accomodating and given the chap a lift to his van to show the necessary paperwork - my car would never be far away! If I was not satisfied, then my next step would be to raise it with the contractor's management to find whether it was a legal failing or merely an ineffective sytem of keeping paperwork in order. Dependant on circumstances or outcomes, further, possibly contractual, steps could be taken with the contractor. If that is being too soft or letting someone off the hook, then I hold my hands up and plead guilty. Just as a thought, some H&S people may act like pocket dictators, but I wish that I had a fraction of the power that people expect me to have. Jim
Admin  
#21 Posted : 22 April 2003 15:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Jim, thank you. My thought at the time exactly.The offer of a lift to the van. A bit of courtesy and consideration, wonderful. But I'm still left with the nagging thought in my mind that perhaps the H&S manager has a fair point in principle as to how to raise peoples on site, on job awareness of hazards and risks. I like your notion of a chat to check levels of awareness.But then you need to check against something and the RA could be a useful point of reference. And ,fine, I agree entirely with your considered next steps if anything untoward. Do you not find that systems of their nature lead to rigid, inflexible approaches so that through trying to do your best you fail to get the result hoped for.
Admin  
#22 Posted : 22 April 2003 20:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear all, A most interesting thread! Just a couple of jottings. Firstly there is no legal requirement to record any risk assessment! The requirement is to record the significant findings of the risk assessment, which is not quite the same thing. My view is that risk assessments are a tool, to get people to look at risks systematically and identify the control measures that should be in place. Some of the findings should be incorporated in general training, other findings should be documented in safety rules, Standard Operating Procedures, equipment specifications, user inspections and maintence procedures, as well as Permit to Work systems. As always the way the specific findings should be incorporated into safe systems of work depends upon the level of risk. As always, Regards Adrian Watson
Admin  
#23 Posted : 22 April 2003 23:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington This is such a good but long thread it would be somewhat time consuming to quote the statements of others. Therefore I particularily agree with: Stuart Nagle Dave Wilson and I work and agree with the style of Jim Sweetman. In this posting I have not seen a statement saying that the grass cutters were working in an un-safe fashion... If they were working safely then the Safety Manager was in my view (on the face of it) being officious. If they were working in a safe fashion why would the Manger wish to see these documents? Unless of course the contract between the authority and the contractor wrote this into the contract. If this was the case then he (?) should have raised this with the management of the contractor, rather then browe beat the operatives. I believe that a better use of one's time is to work with one's contractors. Therefore today I was in the basement of a 16 storey tower block with a contractor. The scenario was that we are renewing the electric's however, the area is flooded up to three foot of water, there are rats, the area is a confined space, there is live electrical wires AND junkies have been using the area and therefore there is a large amount of used syringes.... How can this work be done safely, in a cost effective manner and with minimal disturbance to the 300~ people living in the block, this to me is the real question. This working with contractors is far more productive then simply asking for RA or method statements and also has the advantage that the interest of ones employer is also met and not just the contractor's. Simply "catching someone out" misses the point. Though I would obviously say that pre-contract one would wish to know that the contractor knows how to work safely and therefore pre-contract one would wish to see these documents and have discussions with the contractor on the practicalities of their methods statements RAs etc. This afternoon I met with a large RM contractor to discuss my briefing note on Horsehair in plaster in pre 1933 buildings. Left to their own devices they have apparently "done the right thing" by having the horsehair (major void) sent to Porton Down to see if they could grow the Anthrax spores. This cost my employer £2500. The tenant was kept out of his house for two weeks and at the end of this two weeks Porton Down could not grow the bacterium. My briefing note reviewed the data and came to the view that with minimal alterations to working practices that this therorectical hazard (70 year old Anthrax spores)could be safely managed. I wrote the note, consulted with the four RM contractors and we have come to an accord. I really think that this is the way to work with contractors - it's the adult way -which ensures that one's employers' needs are met. That contractors needs are met and most importently that the work is conducted in a safe manner.
Admin  
#24 Posted : 23 April 2003 09:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Adrian, I find your "jottings" most eloquent and helpful. Taking your point that risk assessments are a tool to help examine hazards and risks and identify control measures and that the significant/specific findings should be incorporated in a safe system of work dependent on level of risk - are they useful things to have out on the job? How do you check your memory? I work with a dictionary at hand and other reference materials - I don't use them all the time, but they are useful. When I used to do manual work on sites I often referred to plans etc. but I'm not sure I carried them on me at all times. A permit to work is issued signed to the person doing the work when it is safe to go ahead and to be returned signed when the work is completed but I don't think it contains much other information. So,it would seem that the majority view is agreed on what purpose a risk assessment serves (thank you everyone). But I am still left with the question of "How should a risk assessment be used so as it is useful, relevant and fulfils its function of looking at risks systematically and identifying control measures on the job"? so that it helps raise awareness and encourages safe behaviour. Is the H&S manager applying sound principles and practices in looking for operational risk assessments to be on hand at all times.
Admin  
#25 Posted : 23 April 2003 09:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear David Edward Partington, Thank you for your interest and comments. Interesting you pick up on the concern of whether the work was being done safely or otherwise. A few questions could have been asked but at the time were not,(recent changes in legistlation), as the issue of the risk assessment stopped everything at that point. This could be a quality/ contractual issue true but as you go on to say was it dealt with in an appropriate manner. At least there was no beating about the bush and the message was received loud and clear. The message seemed to take all by surprise. I agree with you on preferring to work with contractors, especially as many of them are small companies and trying to keep up with all aspects of changes and how they play out is no easy task and is why big companies employ people to do it on their behalf, but often it would seem so as they can catch others out. But the question is: "Is the principle a good one and is the practice sound"
Admin  
#26 Posted : 23 April 2003 12:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jeff Lambert Having spent many happy hours operating at least the Ransomes 213 triple mower I only have a few comments to make. I agree that there is very limited space on this machine to carry paper work etc. From memory the only available storage space on these machines is the tool box on the side. I used to carry a couple of spanners to adjust the blades, a big hammer to make any minor adjustments necessary after locating debris such as scaffolding brackets hidden in the long grass. Waterproofs to guard against the inclement weather and a roll of hygiene paper to wipe hands after contact with dog mess also often found in the grass. All of which became filthy due to all the dust. As someone said no good for storing sandwiches unless you like toasties. With regards the mention of fire, due to the build up of dry grass. Regular checks should be made of the grill at the rear and the air filter. I never managed to get it on fire although I do recall a whistling noise when the engine started to over heat. I would suggest that it would be un-necessary to carry the risk assessments on board due to the fact I would have been an integral part of the risk assessment process given that I am the operator and best placed to identify the hazards than someone with a health and safety qualification or knowledge. Therefore I would be aware of the outcome to the assessment.
Admin  
#27 Posted : 23 April 2003 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Sweetman Benedict, In response to your queries, I would take the viewpoint that the H&S manager in question was being OTT and not doing a great deal for the H&S image. You mention about checking against an RA to identify whether all is OK. I would tend to rely on my own knowledge and experience of working practices to assess whether I thought that the work was being carried out in unsafe manner. As part of my preparations before leaving my office I would have read up on the background documentation - a practice that has the potential for saving many a red face. Armed with that information and what I actually see on site would determine what documentation I would start chasing. I left Local Authority just after CDM came in. Had I spent more time with LA's on this sort of role, my starting point would have been the H&S Plan, rather than RA's. If there was no H&S Plan, due numbers/duration etc, I would be looking for compliance with procedures in their Safety Management System - again RA's are somewhat further down the line. Now I am in a position where I look at Safety Management Systems of various bidders on contracts of considerable size, I welcome the odd chance to go out on a site inspection role. However, if H&S Managers look at some the SMS's they may get quite a surprise - you would be surprised at the failings of major players at SMS level, without going down into the weeds of RA's! Keep up the good work. Jim
Admin  
#28 Posted : 23 April 2003 14:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bruce Sutherland Interesting to read from Geoff about how the job in question is done - Who are we kidding if we think that people read most of the "very important safety stuff"? All most people want to do is some to work get on job and then go home as soon as possible - if we aid them in their aims then they are more likely to help us with ours! Assuming that everyone involved knows how to do the job through training etc. all they want to know is what is different from the last time they did this task - obviously if it is particularly different/ difficult / dangerous job then the situation changes but I am saddened by the need for this thread despite the excellent sounding off that has occurred. Cheers to all Bruce
Admin  
#29 Posted : 23 April 2003 14:26:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Jeff, What welcome comments you make regarding the operator and their part in the RA process etc. I also passed many hours (happy?) on a 213 and though this machine is 4 years old there has been no improvement in provision of storage space or protection against weathers- hot, cold , wet or chilly and windy- and in terms of risk exposure over a working life of far greater risk than having or otherwise a risk assessment with you. I wouldn't necessarily underate the breadth of hazard evaluation that an experienced H&S manager can bring to situations. Awareness of things like Toxocara canis or cryptosporidium etc may often be viewed as of little concern until that moment. But, thanks again re your comments on space, dust and dirt
Admin  
#30 Posted : 23 April 2003 14:42:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Jim, You accurately equate this situation with CDM regs. as works on highway networks falls within their scope. So, I find it interesting what you then go on to say re the hierachy within a safe system of work. This is close to the heart of the matter. And thank you for your confirmation of image and ott comments. But still I have to ask is the principle maybe not one that deserves to be looked at seriously as a potentially useful way of raising awareness of H&S on the job and if someone makes a suggestion that may seem doubtful it can be compared against the RA at the point before going ahead with it.
Admin  
#31 Posted : 23 April 2003 14:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Bruce, Forgive me, but I get the feeling you may be a little disillusioned perhaps. I agree with your premise that most people come to work for pay and spend most of the time thinking about finishing be it for the day, the week or the hols. Not many of us like to feel that somebody else is interfering with us in how we do the job. Unfortunately it has often been when assumptions have been made that disaster takes the opportunity to make itself felt. For me, you raise the very important factor that no matter how often you do the job there is always that one time that is different. How do you make the RA relevant to that situation. Perhaps if you have a RA on site with you and you record the variation to the work process from the outlined method you could encourage participation in what you seem to describe as a fragmented process with little relevance to people doing the work.
Admin  
#32 Posted : 23 April 2003 15:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Adrian Watson Dear Benedict, The important thing is to recognise that most workers don't give a toss about the paperwork, they're there to earn a living and the paperwork is a necessary evil. If the paperwork is not essential for them to get paid, it is unlikely that it will be either read or filled in! In answering the question "Is the H&S manager applying sound principles and practices in looking for operational risk assessments to be on hand at all times", I would suggest not. What I would be more interested in finding out from the workers is what they are going to do, how they are going to do it, what precautions and safety measures are they going to take, and what measures do they take in an emergency. If they cannot reel off the answers or if the measures and precautions are complicated, it is imperative that they need an aid memoir to ensure that they cover the bases. In this case I would provide a laminated sheet with bullet points reminding them of the essential points in the logical sequence that must be covered for the job to be done safely. On the rear of the sheet I would have the emergency procedure, appropriate to that activity. However, if the task is so complicated or if it is intrinsically dangerous that any mistake would invariably result in a serious then I would use a Permit to Work system. In my view an ideal Permit to Work either includes or refers to a plan of work or work schedule that details who does what, when, and where in sufficient detail that there is no ambiguity over what has to be done. It does not, and should not; include every activity, unless it is critical that the activity be done in a particular time. Regards Adrian
Admin  
#33 Posted : 23 April 2003 17:51:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Well Adrian, Damning but perhaps profound. I also would be more interested in finding out answers about the areas you identify. Certainly, having them in your head is a more useful place except as you indicate they may be complex and so memory unreliable. Your suggestion of the laminated sheet etc I had considered but in the circumstance I wasn't convinced as to the suitability/practicality. I've looked at water proof document bags as used in sailing - perhaps a little costly at £14.00p each.(there is little profit in grass cutting). I was considering bum bags or document/money belts/neck purses Imagine a similar question in a different situation---- Your passport please. Your tickets please. Your driving licence please. and so on. So, the principle of carrying documents with you is already practiced in certain spheres of peoples lives today. Why then should it seem so awkward or whatever at work. As you say, people want to earn a living (without the hassle of paper documents)to be able to have a good time. But people will go along with paper work when it comes to spending the dosh for a good time. Why the difference?
Admin  
#34 Posted : 24 April 2003 00:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By David Edward Partington Benedict I have read your response and you conclude with: "I agree with you on preferring to work with contractors, especially as many of them are small companies and trying to keep up with all aspects of changes and how they play out is no easy task and is why big companies employ people to do it on their behalf, but often it would seem so as they can catch others out. But the question is: "Is the principle a good one and is the practice sound" For me I am the HS Manager for 48 000 properties. Much of these properties 40 000~ are the prefabricated 1960's -70's stock. This stock is now wearing out. Under the last administration LAs were forced to contract out most of their work therefore the people doing this work for us are contractors.. I work for a local Housing Department our sole reason for being is to provide housing to an exceptable standard. Therefore one wishes all work to be done to that standard. Regardless of who does the work the tenents are ours and we owe them a "Duty of Care". If we fail in that "Duty of Care" then we will be sued, or even taken into administration by the government. If we are sued then we have less money available to us to provide housing which of course is our sole reason for being. Therefore I would argue that working with one's contractors is: 'a good one and that the practice is sound' As it will ensure that are intentions are met. I would like to add however, that on occassion contractors have not met the agreed standards and that on occassion I have had to suspend contractors and this has had a major impact on their income. This is the flip side of working with contractors. If they fall below a safe standard then one will have to do this. Fortunatly because I have been sucessful in building relationships with these people, it is rare that this circumstance has arisen. This successful working together has meant that we can guerentee a service as, if one does suspend a contractor then they stop performing the works that one wishes them to conduct. And therefore opportunities are lost, time is wasted and no one is happy. So working with contractors is now an essential means of ensuring that the objectives of one's employer - client are met. Regards to all David Partington.
Admin  
#35 Posted : 24 April 2003 10:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Wilson I think that we are missing the point here!!! We are talking about cutting grass not contractors and subbies on major construction or nuclear reprocessing and the level of Risk Assessment / Safety Case / method statements etc etc must be commensurate with the identified hazards and the subsequent risk. This H&S chappie / chappess / chappette was overbearing and officious in this particular circumstance and needs telling so. Give him both barrels benedict!!! then apologise as you need his custom as he is always right (the customer)
Admin  
#36 Posted : 24 April 2003 11:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By T. Fowler I would make two points. 1. If the reason you are in this profession is to help create and maintain an industry in its own right, even though that might mean submerging other more traditional industries then the zeolot approach is the right one. Furthermore, the aim is achievable because, as our actions are judged by comparison to others in the profession, if most of us demand, for example, that all Farmers wheel (not carry) a barrowload of specific risk assessments, their training records, records of ppe maintenance etc etc with them wherever they go then that will become the norm. The outcome is in our hands so the initial question posed by this thread is extremely important. 2. I was sitting in my house one day having heard the grass cutters outside when I heard a noise like a bullet hitting something. On investigation I found a hole the size of a bullet in my window. A pebble had been propelled ten yards by the strimmer and shattered the glass. To cut a long story short it was all resolved happily because, as the Cutter's manager said 'IT HAPPENS ALL THE TIME. I TELL THE BLOKES TO BE CAREFUL BUT YOU KNOW WHAT THEY ARE LIKE'. They had a contract with a window company to carry out such repairs, they were that common. That is the reality of things. These people only had strimmers but they could have put an eye out. They had nowhere to carry paraphernalia of any description on their person and they certainly would not have refered to it. This happened despite all the bureaucratic hurdles that the company had to go through to get the LA contract. The missing control in this and many situations involving non-thinking back-coverers is that of ensuring that the measures work. The contract manager should not have accepted that 'these things happen' and, importantly, the council should have had someone out there watching the cutters work, an Inspector who would sometimes appear and would be looking at how the cutters worked a hilly area or an area with people in close proximity; whether they were wearing protective equipment etc etc. Things that no amount of paperwork can make up for.
Admin  
#37 Posted : 24 April 2003 15:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear David Edward Partington, Thank you for your continued interest in this. I'm very grateful to all of you who have contributed. The point you make of the "Duty of Care" is interesting and one that has passed through my mind. Equally, I'm with you on safe standards and building relationships. I may not have cleary stated my concern over the point "Is the Principle a good one" etc. My question here is about the preference expressed to carry risk assessments with you physically when working. I presume this may have something to do with the "Duty of Care" and meeting agreed standards (quality?). The question I find myself returning to is; "What is practicable and reasonable?" Is this beaurocracy in excess or following a sensible and logical step?
Admin  
#38 Posted : 24 April 2003 15:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear Dave Wilson, Another good reply. You cheer me no end! A meeting has been arranged. I may follow your suggestion. That is if the need arises. They may themselves have had second thoughts.
Admin  
#39 Posted : 24 April 2003 16:08:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ian Stone Following reading these replies I have had a meeting with some of our workers to find out how they would like things to be run. We have now come up with safety site meetings, where all the assessments are discussed, the gang forman supervises all the work. All the assessments are to be carried in the van, and can be produced at a moments notice. The teams are also discussing how the assessments work and improvemnets. The last thing anyone wants is for some bloke wearing a nicely ironed shirt and tie to come along and start shouting at them "wheres your risk assessments". All that is going to achieve is to upset the workers and reduce safety importance. All parties seem happy with this approach
Admin  
#40 Posted : 24 April 2003 16:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Benedict Thierry Dear T. Fowler, I appreciate your recognition of my initial question. I wasn't sure myself. I like the extension of the image. A manual handling nightmare. On your second point- strimmers- this is another issue that is current with me, but another story. However, it is not to do with the "blokes" but the suitability of the equipment identified by risk assessment. I could go on at lenght on this one. Your comment about use of strimmers on slopes etc is a good one. Your point about whether the RA would be referred to is what I'm interested in. How does the written document become an active piece of useful and used information- a tool that people choose to use in their day to day work because it has meaning and is useful to them.