Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 11 February 2004 17:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Simon Wright I work in a seven-storey office block with stairways at each end which are used for emergency evauations. We have no wheelchair-user employees but could have visitors to the building in wheelchairs. They could reach all floors by using the lift but this would be out of bounds in the event of a fire. We also have wheelchair refuges located at each end of the building on each floor. In the event of a real evacuation, I find it hard to see it as acceptable to just wheel them into the refuges, say that we'll tell the emergency services where they are and then disappear ourselves down to ground level. Our procedures state that employees should if possible assist wheelchair-users down the stairways, but what if the person is very heavy or is fragile and cannot be lifted? It raises concerns about the manual handling of persons when evacuating - should we train everyone in correct person-lifting techniques or just some of the stronger employees? What if the trained or stronger persons are out on a site visit? Should we nominate persons to stay with the wheelchair-user in the refuge until help arrives? We have no wheelchair-user employees and have to my knowledge never had a wheelchair user visit floors other than the ground. I have suggested asking all persons who may have meetings with wheelchair users to use the ground floor meeting rooms (for ease of evacuation). I am concerned about the DDA Regulations and the fact that there is an inclusion principle for disabled persons - if we restrict meetings to the ground floor, is this discrimination? I would welcome any comments concerning the above points and especially how your own evacuation procedures cope with this scenario. Comments from wheelchair users would be very useful.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 11 February 2004 18:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Lee Evac chair mate, do a google search.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 12 February 2004 08:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Keith Archer. Simon, Has consideration been made to the feelings, anxiety and sheer panic of the person that would be left in the so-called refuges? You say that your building is seven stories high which equates to approximately 14 flights of stairs from the top floor. With the best will in the world and the use of evacuation aids i.e. evac chairs you would still have problems due to the pure physical strain placed on to the persons carrying out the evacuation. As I understand the DDA there is provision to discriminate on grounds of health and Safety but this discrimination must be justified If you do a search of this forum you will find that there was a previous thread on this subject which generated quite a lot of discussion. Hope this is of assistance Keith
Admin  
#4 Posted : 12 February 2004 08:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Abbott I agree with Peter - if you put a system of Evac Chairs in place (as well as training), then there is no problem with wheelchair bound staff visiting any floor of the building - or working in any floor.
Admin  
#5 Posted : 12 February 2004 09:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Donna Fisken Simon, You may want to check a previous thread on this area of discussion. It is entitled "Emergency Evacuation of Mobility Impaired Persons from Buildings" and it is on p16 of this forum, last response dated 13.12.03. After having first-hand experience of wheelchair users I would recommend you contact the disability rights commission www.drc-gb.org for futher information. While you can give manual handling training to staff this will not take into account powered/motorised wheelchairs and also as mentioned as a response the 'panic' factor which will inevitably occur. If a person is in a power wheelchair and is not able to support themselves (but still quite capable of working) it is impractical to expect them to be moved out of this (hence the evac chair in this situation would be not use) and doing so could do the person more harm than good. Speak to the DRC direct and they will be able to advise you of what would be 'reasonably practicable'. It may also be worth speaking to your local fire authority for advice/guidance. Hope this helps. Donna
Admin  
#6 Posted : 12 February 2004 09:38:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CJ There would not be a problem to restrict a meeting involving a disabled person to the ground floor, along as suitable facilities are located there, its the same logic as accessible rooms in hotels etc being located at ground level. As far as i know, there are no inspectors for disabled access and court action can only come about from a disabled person themsemselves, who believe they have been treated unfairly. In my opinon, I do not believe a case of discrimination could be raised against you in this instance.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 12 February 2004 10:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If you don't visit the previous threads on this subject, Simon, please note that the duty is to achieve evacuation of the premises without leaving disabled persons to await rescue by the fire brigade. If your strategy depends upon the use of Evac+chairs, you will need to have given suitable persons the job (and training) to operate them. Resonable discrimination is acceptable under the DDA and Ground floor interviewing seems very reasonable to me - and is widely practised.
Admin  
#8 Posted : 12 February 2004 12:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zoe Barnett Don't forget you'll need to train people in the correct manual handling techniques for getting people from wheelchairs into evac chairs. This may also mean you have to buy some basic bits of equipment like banana boards or draw sheets.
Admin  
#9 Posted : 12 February 2004 13:46:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Angela Fecci Just a thought, and not sure if cost is an issue, however...... In a previous situation, I know that certain lifts can be altered to a fireman's lift. These can be used by disabled personnel in the event of an evacuation. Designated personnel will need to be allocated for the disabled person to aid them in a safe evacuation.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2004 13:59:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You may be able to convert existing lifts to evacuation lift standard, Angela (which is less onerous than that for a fire-fighting lift). Whereas a fire-fighting lift can be used as an evacuation lift, the reverse is not acceptable. It is regrettable that people are still designing public buildings and workplaces without them as there is no actual requirement in the Approved Documents but only reference to them.
Admin  
#11 Posted : 13 February 2004 10:21:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Zyggy Turek We have a similar building to the one you describe & as well as having refuge areas, we ensure that the person is not left alone. We have also installed telephones which have a direct link to the fire panel where the Evacuation co-ordinator meets & greets the fire service. As all our alarm activations to date have not been as a result of a fire, the employee can be reassured of the situation & evac chairs are on hand...just in case!