Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 26 January 2009 15:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Christine Mortell Hi all, I perform Risk Assessments as part as role as a health & safety consultant. I would like to source an up to date Risk Assessment Software Package. I welcome any suggestions. Thanks
Admin  
#2 Posted : 26 January 2009 15:12:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham Christine Are you referring to a software package to record your risk assessments or are you looking for a package that will do the risk assessment for you? I my view the latter simply does not exist. The only way you can do a risk assessment, particularly for skin exposure to chemicals, is by studying the actual task to identify where, and to what, the worker(s) are being or might be exposed. I don't think any software package can do that. Chris
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 January 2009 09:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Christine Mortell Thanks for the reply. I would like a software package to record Risk Assessmnts. I would like to input digital photos, record the risk and hazards.
Admin  
#4 Posted : 27 January 2009 10:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham Christine Let me have you e-mail and I will send you some pointers. Chris
Admin  
#5 Posted : 27 January 2009 11:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By blazey Hi Christine check out http://www.risk-master.com/ The risk assessment feature on this software is refreshingly simple to understand below a quote from longleat who use risk master "" Longleat is a very diverse business with a large variety of departments including: Forestry,catering,caves,construction,Safari Park,property,attractions,shops, etc. We wanted a system which worked from the bottom up -where staff from all departments and from a diverse background could access the system and carry out Risk Assessments. Anyone with very basic computer knowledge can soon become competent. It is very easy to update and improve assessments where necessary.Producing risk assessments with Risk Master uses plain English and does not involve any meaningless scoring or mathematical calculations,something which can blur people's thinking and get in the way of finding practical solutions to health and safety issues. The system is very transparent and senior managers and Health & Safety auditors can easily log on to the system to view progress"
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 January 2009 17:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Toby South Hi Christine, I have heard good reports about a company called Enable Infomatrix - i have spoken with them in the past and they have a different approach offering a configurable solution to meet an organisations needs at a pretty low cost. Have a look at their website or give them a buzz - www.myeix.com / 01789 208060 Good luck
Admin  
#7 Posted : 04 February 2009 12:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By CliveD Hi Christine Do a general search on google for 'safety software' we reviewed all the key players 18 months ago and went with OSHENS from Optima Diagnostics in London; it continues to meet a diversity of H&S requirements across a number of geographical locations, so start with the search engines..also be wary of members selling products from companies they work for, probably a good idea to look at a few to get a good feel for which best fits your requirement! Cheers Clive
Admin  
#8 Posted : 04 February 2009 13:18:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By peter gotch Toby. Do you have a commercial connection to Enable? If so you should let us know. This is your 8th reference to them since mid-January. p
Admin  
#9 Posted : 11 February 2009 22:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Helen Flinn Christine / Chris p, I'd also be interested in getting some pointers in this area if you don't mind me jumping on the band wagon. Any info about Risk Registers would also be most welcome.
Admin  
#10 Posted : 12 February 2009 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham Helen Drop me an e-mail so that I have your address and I will be happy to respond. Chris
Admin  
#11 Posted : 27 February 2009 10:32:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Eleanor Drage Christine, We may be able to help and I will send you some information directly. Eleanor Skidmore Rivo Software
Admin  
#12 Posted : 27 February 2009 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ross Stirton I currently use PHA Pro from this outfit - the link is to the 'lite' version called RiskSafe; http://www.dyadem.com/products/risksafe/index.php It is very good once you've climbed up the initial learning curve. Regards, S R Stirton
Admin  
#13 Posted : 27 February 2009 15:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Pulsion Hi Christine Check out www.esquiggles.com - It is a mobile software Solution of which can manage the full risk assessment process. Thanks Una
Admin  
#14 Posted : 27 February 2009 16:06:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Chris Packham May I reiterate and expand upon my earlier comment. Risk assessment for chemical exposure in a workplace will require: 1. Identification of what is really used for a particular task 2. Assessment of the chemicals really present in the workplace (which can be very different from those on the safety data sheet) and the hazards that these represent. 3. Review of what is being done, where exposure is occurring - or might occur - the extent, frequency, duration of such exposure and location on the body for skin contact 4. Effectiveness of any PPE used. This may require measurement under actual working conditions for protection such as gloves 5. Effects that ambient and seasonal factors may have, particularly for skin exposure. 6. An assessment of the potential damage to health that could occur from such exposure, based on what one observes when in the workplace. Anything less than this and you run the risk of not identifying the true actual or potential exposure and effects on the health of the workforce. I do not believe that this can be done by computer. How many computers can watch the worker and identify exposure? What a computer can do is to record the details of your assessment for future reference. Chris
Admin  
#15 Posted : 28 February 2009 11:57:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Doyle Hi Christine, I have sent information directly to you. Tom Doyle Industrial Safety Integration
Admin  
#16 Posted : 28 February 2009 12:53:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul T9 I once developed my own Database (very good at IT) for all the RA and COSHH it reminded me when reviews were due and printed out comprehensive reports and register all tailored to the company I work for. Any new assessments and the register was automatically undated. Had this system in place for three years, got audited by a new man who complained that it wasn’t on the official company format, so database was scrapped and the information written across to the approved company format all manually written out. I would advise that you chose carefully and make sure it fits your needs.