Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 August 2000 14:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie This question is prompted by Bryn Maidment's question on the old forum. I am increasingly finding that I am the first point of contact within my organisation for anything to do with the Disability Discrimination Act, not just access and egress, but facilities generally. Does this seem to be general for all in the H & S field, or is it a local phenomenon? I do not mind in the least, with a disabled wife I am glad to be given the chance to get some points across, but if it is definitely coming into our area of interest we should be improving our knowledge Laurie Richards
Admin  
#2 Posted : 25 August 2000 11:45:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Peter Bailey Laurie, The important link between the requirements of the DDA and safety practitioners is our inclusion. Whether we are "responsible" or not we must be included in the process. Whether it is general access/egress, adaptations,equipment, methods of work et al I have found that disability advisors (good though they are)concentate on the case in hand and not the knock on effects to others. As with all situations a safety practitioner should be included: a) to agree the strategic approach to DDA; b) at the planning stage of any premises changes, equipment etc.; c) at all other situations where helath and safety implications need to be identified and resolved. You are quite right SP's need to be on board with DDR and its requirements should certainly be part of everyone's CPD. Peter.