Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 October 2000 09:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MALCOLM HAMILTON Looking for info on the level of training required for a driver of a college minibus. At present they are check by a member of the advanced school of motoring before starting driving,is this enough. Is ther any diference in requirements under scottish law. thanks Malky
Admin  
#2 Posted : 17 October 2000 09:28:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor This is very difficult to answer as it depends upon the nature of use, user, location, licences and permits in force, etc. They seem to keep changing the requirements and what is acceptable here may not be so in other parts of the EC or abroad. I suggest that you contact the Community Transport Association (0161 366 6685 or 0161 351 1475). I have found them very helpful and they can send a batch of literature on virtually every aspect of using minibuses. The document detailing the changes which took effect in 1997 and 1998 can be found at http://dspace.dial.pipex...wn/terrace/pi21/dlic.htm
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 October 2000 20:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Marilyn Martin As an ex-College HandS manager I can sympathise on this one! Something of a nightmare. The other respondent is correct - the Community Safety Council is helpful, as are ROSPA who produce a very useful booklet to assist in developing policy and procedures. It may be worth contacting your local authority. Our local county council did mini-bus driver training for our staff at reasonable cost. They train so many of their own that they linked our staff in with theirs at a reasonable cost - worth a try. Regards, Marilyn Martin
Admin  
#4 Posted : 18 October 2000 11:44:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Malcolm I assume from your reference to Scottish law that you are in a Scottish college. SFEU at Stirling recently held a seminar on this very subject - you might want to contact Gerry Devlin and see if he has any material on this. There is also a scheme called MIDAS - not sure what it stands for, but it deals with driver training and licensing. Try Duncan Hearsum at Dial-a-Journey, Stirling - no contact details I'm afraid Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 22 October 2000 22:02:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom W. Malky The Midas scheme that is operated (Minibus Driver Awareness Scheme), is designed to train drivers and passenger attendants to national recognised standards, it involves an assessment of the drivers driving skills, any corrective training to improve these if required. Once the drivers skills are of the required level of competence, then theory training is undertaken, this deals with, at the standard minibus level - Legal responsibilities, Passenger safety, Defensive driving, Accident & Emergency procedures. There is another level of training - Accessible minibuses, dealing with removal of fixtures to allow wheelchairs to be carried, use of passenger lifts and ramps etc. Once undertaken your drivers are certificated for a period, after which they undertake the same assessment/training in order to ensure standards/competence is maintained. Our training was provide by a company called Global Training - 01671 401116, they were very good. If you require more info please Email for a chat. Tom.