Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 October 2000 18:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By STEVE HAS ANYONE ANY INFO ON THE THREAD SUBJECT ? WE ARE ABOUT TO DO SOME SEWAGE PIPE REMOVAL AND REPLACEMENT OF OLD PIPE. WHILST WE HAVE MOST OF THE NECESSARY SAFETY ASPECTS IN PLACE AT THIS MOMENT IN TIME,WE HAVE COME ACROSS A WORRY THAT COULD BE A PROBLEM. OUR WORKERS HAVE HAD TB JABS BUT I AM CONCERNED IN CASE THIS IS NOT SUFFIECENT. WHILST PRECAUTIONS IN THE PPE AREA WILL BE AMPLE,AND THE REMOVAL OF THE HOUSEHOLD PIPE SHOULD ONLY TAKE BETWEEN 2-4HRS I NEED TO KNOW IF ANY OTHER INJECTIONS ARE NECESSARY. ANY IDEAS OR INFO WELCOME STEVE
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 October 2000 21:17:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Paul Craythorne Steve, Not knowing the full scope of your work within the sewage system it is difficult to advise on all the aspects that you should consider. However, in addition to the innoculations that your personnel have had, you should also consider the need for protection against Leptospirosis (Weils disease). Entry into confined spaces and emergency measures are other aspects that come to mind. There is a very useful publication entitled 'Safe Working in Sewers and at Sewage Works' published by the National Joint Health and Safety Committee for the Water Service. My copy is quite old now but there is probably a more up to date version. The last contact details I had for them were at 1 Queen Anne's Gate, London SW1H 9BT (sorry, no telephone number). If they have since moved or changed their name, I am sure IOSH or your local water supplier would be able to track them down for you. I hope this is of some use to you. Regards, Paul
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 October 2000 21:20:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor Work involving the risk of contact with soil and human excrement carries, inter alia, the risks of Tetanus, Polio, TB, Hepatitis A and B and Typhoid. The medical advisors of one London Borough have recommended vaccination against all these!
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 October 2000 08:10:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Donaldson HSE publish two guidance notes on working with sewage both are available at http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/seweindx.htm
Admin  
#5 Posted : 31 October 2000 09:54:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Stuart Nagle Hi, Steve. Hope you have also considered: Excavation safety - supporting the trench and placing of excavated materials. If it encroaches into a public highway or footway/footpath that you have furnished the necessary information to the highway authority for the area and obtained a streetworks licence for the work. Public health inspection of the connection or new connection to the public main if you are doing this will also be necessary. Engineering: Have you ascertained the correct bedding factor for the pipe and backfill around the pipe. considered the compaction of the trench and the need, if required to replace the excavated materials with suitable backfill !! In formation on the risks of contact with sewage are available from the HSE web site (look under ZOONOSES for leptospirosis of Weils Disease... Normal PPE will consist of overalls, waterproofs if necesary, waterproof gloves, steel toe cap boots/wellies, hard hats (your working in a trench where materials and tools ect can fall in). Proper hygeine procedures should be followed... washing of hands, forearms and face at breaks and finnishing work, or before eating, drinking or smoking. Temporary facilities should be provided or available on-site. Contaminated and diry overalls should be removed before eating, drinking etc in a clean area. First aid shouyd be available (first aid kit) as workingwith pipes (plastic or vetrified clay) has a tendencu to result sometimes in cuts to hands and forearms. ALL cuts and abrasions should be washed, treated and covered with water proof plasters. If anyone has cuts, abrasions or skin conditions, eg, exhema, they should be washed traeted and covered with waterproof dresings before starting work. If using a stpper in an up-steam manhole, remeber to chain it if the flow is going to build-up to prevent a 'blow-through'. rember to clear the newly laid pipe to remove any debris inside by the use of a rod following completion of the work. Ensure manhole covers are replaced tp prevent falls into chambers. Hope this helps... Stuart Nagle
Admin  
#6 Posted : 31 October 2000 10:31:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster The most important things to take care of are to avoid sewage contact with cuts and abrasions by ensuring all are properly covered with waterproof dressings, wearing PVC or rubber etc gloves, and preventing hand/mouth contact and inhalation of aerosols by wearing a simple face mask. At the end of the job workers should be provided with and use washing and changing facilities. Take care that hands are washed again AFTER the last soiled article of clothing has been handled. Whilst all the diseases mentioned are possible, the biggest risk is from coliform bacteria which are easily controlled by good hygiene practices. Tetanus and Leptospirosis are significant risks, the danger being from cuts and abrasions. Typhoid and Polio much less so from a one off short term job in the UK. Hope this helps. John
Admin  
#7 Posted : 31 October 2000 10:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By John Webster Stuart Yes, I think you covered that, and in better detail - your posting only appeared after I sent mine. John