Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 November 2000 14:48:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Kevin Edwards I wonder if anybody could help me? I believe that the company I working for is heading for a problem with the implementation of this act. We have a three story office block which is inaccessable to a person in a wheel chair as well as a number of mezzanine floors in the main factory area. The building was constructed in 1984 and has no practical space for a lift. I have been through the act and it does seem to be very clear that we will have to make provisions for disabled people. Is there anybody out there who is facing similar problems and would like to share them with me.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 November 2000 16:11:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Richard Kevin My understanding is that you have to do what is "reasonably practicable". As usual it is the interpretation of this phrase which is likely to cause the problems! My wife is a wheelchair user and my own interpretation tends to be a bit more strict! You could do worse than seek the advice of one of the disabled support groups Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 November 2000 16:14:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Phil Roberts Kevin, I have had a number of similar problems in my company having 29 branch offices some of which are open to the public. Our main office is also three floors with no possible practicable space for a lift. I rang the Disability Rights Commision help line 0345 622 633 and the advice I recieved was to move the facilities to the ground floor if possible or to provide the same service in some other way if movement was not posible. They were very helpful and spent a long time on the phone trying to sort my problems. They may be the best people to help you. Good luck Phil