Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 24 November 2000 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By MALCOLM HAMILTON I work in a further education establishment and I am looking for some guidance in relation to the DSE regs and workstations. The statement I wish to put out for discussion is this: In relation to computing and IT classroom do the desks that the students sit at and the chairs they use have to meet all the appropriate legislation or is it only a recomendation that they do as they are not employees of the college.
Admin  
#2 Posted : 24 November 2000 09:50:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Malcolm I also work in FE, and while we have the normal duty of care, students, unless on placement, are not "users" (at least, not of DSE equipment!!) within the relevant legislation. I seem to remember that you are in Scotland. SFEU have issued very useful guidance notes on how health and safety legislation relates to students. To quote from the relevant section ".........there is no duty imposed on the college. It would however seem good business practice to ensure, as far as reasonably practicable, that students are comfortable while being trained........." Gerry Devlin at SFEU may be able to find you a copy Richard
Admin  
#3 Posted : 24 November 2000 11:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Malcolm Agree with Laurie that DSE Regs do not apply to students. However the provision of good practice measures will surely strenghten their education regarding problems associated with workstations. Todays pupils/ students are tomorrows employees. Knowing that there is actually some sort of standard in this area will hopefully help later on. Oh well! thats my theory anyhow. Regards Bryn
Admin  
#4 Posted : 24 November 2000 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ed Carter Malcolm, I would also agree with the other two responses. Further, if you have mature students as we do, you often find that they have some knowledge from their workplaces of DSER '92 Therefore it does, as said, make good sense. Ed
Admin  
#5 Posted : 28 November 2000 08:25:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom There was a booklet produced by the Scottish Education Department called "making room for information technology" which details information on teacher workspace, pupil workstations, environment issues and layout of computer rooms. Email your address and I can send you a copy in the post.
Admin  
#6 Posted : 28 November 2000 10:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Tom I don't think I've seen the DSE booklet you refer to, which sounds quite useful. Do you have a contact I could order from? Laurie (01382 834845 Dundee Mon, Tue Fri) 01738 877331 Perth Wed, Thu)
Admin  
#7 Posted : 29 November 2000 08:00:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Tom Address on booklet is Scottish Council for Education Technology 74 Victoria Crescent Road Glasgow. G12 9JN. I do not have a telephone number. Tom
Admin  
#8 Posted : 29 November 2000 23:24:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Matthew O'Farrell There is an enlightening posting on another site which should be of interest and concern to Educational Institutions with regard to current research into DSE risks to developing young persons - infinitely more vulnerable than matured adults. Apparantly an Australian researcher Dr Leon Straker speaks of possible global disaster. Anyone interested should visit: www.safetynews.co.uk/news.htm Matthew