Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 27 November 2000 10:43:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Con.. Is there a law / standard which states that chain saw users cannot work alone? (they must work in pairs) As you can imagine I'm looking for information on safe chainsaw use...are there any good web page out there? Thank you Con..
Admin  
#2 Posted : 27 November 2000 13:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker In common with most H&S legislation, you won't find a law/regulation saying "you must not use a chainsaw on your own". What happens as part of a risk assessment, you decide what actions to need to work safely. When using chainsaws, no-one in their right mind would use one without help (in the event of an accident) being available. From your question, I'm not sure if you are directly involved in H&S, but if you want further details on this please let me know. Why are you asking? Have you been told to work alone or are you attempting to work alone and have been told not to? If it is the former contact me for more advice, if its the latter don't, it is just not worth the risk and it is a very high risk. Ask any professional chainsaw user - we all have tales to tell. As well as a job as a H&S advisor, I also have a small sideline hedgelaying, this involves frequent use of a chainsaw. I never work alone, sometime I even drag my wife out of a warm bed at the weekend just to accompany me. I mainly work in remote locations (fields) and ensure I have a good first Aid kit, full protective clothing and a working mobile phone. Chopping a lump out of your leg (usual accident with these things) is not usually fatal - bleeding to death is!
Admin  
#3 Posted : 27 November 2000 13:56:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor For the Health & Safety Executive's position on this subject, see INDG 317 'Chainsaws at Work'. The guidance is 'Avoid working alone but where this is not possible, establish procedures to raise the alarm if something goes wrong'. Examples are given. That said, I'm with Jim - don't do it!