Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 30 July 2001 12:49:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky Please can anyone tell me the specific height that a handrail ought to be for a stairway/walkway? Nicky
Admin  
#2 Posted : 30 July 2001 14:22:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor If you mean for a stairway within a building, the Building Regulations say that the top of the hanrail should be within 900mm and 1000mm from the pitch-line or floor. This should not be confused with requirements for heights of guards forming edge protection which vary according to premises types. A secondary handrail is recommended for pupils aged 12 and under in schools - which for infants should be at 600mm. Scaffolds need a guardrail at least 910mm above the platform.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 30 July 2001 16:52:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nicky Dear Ken, I thought it was around that, and I am sure that the height is correct , but if you have say a person on a hospital trolley on a mezzanine floor, is this still suitable and sufficient? This is where I get "cloudy", Nicky
Admin  
#4 Posted : 31 July 2001 08:23:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor So we are talking edge protection. If you were building a floor in a hospital today that required edge protection, the Approved Document would require 1100mm height to the guarding. As to people on trolleys, this seems a good case for risk assessment and, at least, some categories of passenger would seem likely to need side guards or straps! However, this is not my industry and others may be able to assist further in this respect.