Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 08 August 2001 13:55:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryan Owen I've been asked to find out what the minimim safe distances are for siting photo-electric light curtains from dangerous parts of machinery. I've tried to find the information on the web, and had no luck. I can't even see the old HSE guidance note PM41 on this matter. Could someone please help me out? If you have any info please e-mail me at bryanmusashi@netscapeonline.co.uk Thanks for your help
Admin  
#2 Posted : 08 August 2001 18:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nigel Without sounding as if i am ducking the issue by going for the old favourite of risk assessment that is what i will suggest is the answer. The guard has to be suitable for purpose ie prevent contact with the hazard, if distance is an issue is light operated guarding the way to go? If a S&S risk assessment has indicated that light operated guard is suitable then it can be used.
Admin  
#3 Posted : 08 August 2001 21:36:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker One of the major light guard companies, I think they sell their products as "guardmaster" do some very nice guidance documents, including a CD-rom. I can't lay my hands on them at the moment. I'll watch this thread and if no-one else sends advice I'll dig out what I have. There are some quite specific tests on lightguards on power presses, so it a slightly more complicated issue than a general RA. What machinery are you guarding?
Admin  
#4 Posted : 08 August 2001 21:39:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Jim Walker Just found what I was talking about try www.eja.co.uk
Admin  
#5 Posted : 09 August 2001 13:16:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryan Owen Thanks for the information. For those who want more information, visit the Guardmaster web site, and look under their documentation page. There is a document (SB2 - Safety Guarding 2 I think). The formula for this is given in section 7. Let me also add that I don't think a general assessment would help me here. We already have general assessments in place. But while we have to keep our employees safe, we also have to maintain minimum production cycle times. Now I can get the correct distance, rather than judge it by trail and (god forbid) error, which is what I would have to have done by a general assessment.