Welcome Guest! The IOSH forums are a free resource to both members and non-members. Login or register to use them

Postings made by forum users are personal opinions. IOSH is not responsible for the content or accuracy of any of the information contained in forum postings. Please carefully consider any advice you receive.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Admin  
#1 Posted : 16 August 2001 15:05:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Sarah Milroy Does anyone know of any training courses available for people who may assist elderly or disabled people - not so much patient handling as would be used in hospitals and nursing homes etc, but helping people to get up out of chairs, to move up and down stairs and on and off examination couches when needed? Patient handling is too much and general manual handling is not enough. Any ideas???
Admin  
#2 Posted : 16 August 2001 16:04:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Dave Dowan Hi Sarah A fellow student on a training course does this training as part of his job, Please email me on david.dowan@ntl.com and I will give you his conatct details,
Admin  
#3 Posted : 17 August 2001 08:29:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor You could try RoSPA on 0121 248 2000
Admin  
#4 Posted : 17 August 2001 08:33:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Laurie Sarah When my wife became disabled some years ago this training was given to me by her occupational therapist. You might try the OTs at your local hospital Laurie
Admin  
#5 Posted : 17 August 2001 10:37:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Nick Higginson RoSPA are very good in this area, but they only do Instructors and Assessors courses for Patient Handling and Manual Handling as far as I am aware. Both are excellent courses. Nick
Admin  
#6 Posted : 17 August 2001 12:47:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Bryn Maidment Sarah You should try Laurie's suggestion first but the problem is their general inability to undertake training for anyone other than their own staff. If you are in the South/southeast you could try Back to Safety Ltd. E.mail me and I'll give you a contact and number - they provide a lot of trainng for me and it's first class.
Admin  
#7 Posted : 20 August 2001 20:01:00(UTC)
Admin

Posted By Ken Taylor For the type of training described, the RoSPA Home Safety Liaison Officers may be able to direct you to some locally available source.